Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War trench on my property?

FrankMD

Hello all,
I've been out of metal detecting for a long time.

I had been a metal detector engineer at one time.

I may have a picket post Civil War trench on my property but I may be confusing it with a perk test?

The trench is about 20 feet long, couple of feet deep. Another one is 10 feet long. The trenches are at the very edge of my property line. The location overlooks a creek crossing.

I'm live near Appomattox, VA.

Does this sound like a trench or perk test?

No detector right now but may get the Makro Racer.

Thanks

Frank.

Possible rifle pits? Get that detector and see what comes out! Or dig some out and use a sifter. Let us know the results. Good luck!

I will sure let you know.

Just hope it's not an old perk test.

I'm not sure what a perk test hole looks like and I wouldnt think a perk test would be right at the back edge of my property.

I have no idea. I bought my place from someone else.

The house I live on is about 600 feet from the possible trenches.

I found my original plat. The drainfield site was near my house which about 600 feet from the trenches. Pretty sure they are CW trenches.

I may try the sifting method before I get a MD.

Maybe it was a Picket post.

Dig the wheeze out of that place whether swinging a detector or filtering and let us know what you find. Best of luck.

You may want to simply borrow detector to help out in this process ???? Good luck. CCH

That sounds promising enough to me. Best of luck to you and let us know what comes to the surface. I'm with some of the others here in seeing if you can borrow or possibly rent a detector and hunt these trenches low and slow. Best of luck to you in saving some CW History.