Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Clarification needed

DirtAngler

I read where some are saying using notch doesn't result in loss of depth where using increased discrimination does. Is this true? If it is, then wouldn't it be better and give you the same result to say notch out 0-30 instead of setting discrimination at 30? So far the the type of hunting and locations I hunt, anything under 30 has been junk so I eliminate them using notch on my coin and jewelry program. Yes I'm aware some very small gold can come in under 30 but I'll take my chances. Or am I confused about these settings.

How about using zero disc and setting your low tone to break at 30.
This will give you a low tone for 0-30 and a high tone for 31-99.

You obviously would need to choose 3 tones to do this.

Gaz.

I have a program set up like that. I'm using the coin and jewelry setup in a very noisy area and want it to be quieter so that's why my question on notch vs discrimination. I don't want to hear the 0-30 targets in this case.

I understand what you are saying and I understand your goal, however, I think that whether you decide to notch or discriminate, you will get the same result. Notch is an expanded function of discrimination and as far as I know, notch works in the same way as discrimination. This means that if you notch say 0-30, it is the same thing as discriminating 0-30.

The reason you lose depth with increased discrimination is because the processor is working harder on discriminating targets and ground noise rather than working on identifying targets you "want."

By lowering discrimination, you hear more in the ground, but the computer doesn't need to work as hard at filtering out the noise so you are able gain some extra depth.

Long story short, the best way to run higher disc and still get the maximum depth, is to discriminate with audio adjustments as you are already doing. If you want a silent hunt with a lot of disc and notch, you are going to lose a little depth.

If you are in an extremely noisy area and want some silence, I would recommend running higher disc and sacrificing a little depth. From what I have seen in depth loss, you will still hit on most targets and might just miss the targets that are on the edge of detection anyway.

Let us know what ends up working for you as I know your not the only one with this question.

Hope this helped,

-Marc

Marc,
That's what I'm trying to find out. I don't see how discrimination is different than notch but some have stated that by using notch you don't lose depth and with higher discrimination you do. It is past my scope of understanding if they do somehow work differently for depth so I'm hoping the someone with better understanding of these features chimes in.

I never run my disc over 10, most of the time 7 or 8. Iron can't disguise itself from the sound out makes. I'm looking for coins and jewelry. In the real world a lot of targets wil not sound that perfect target tone. I've found very few targets that were perfect by the book signals. In a little time you can tell the iron apart from everything else.