Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Classic, ID, IDX, and IDX Pro Modifications

Mr.Bill

Are still being done. $85. + $25. returned, insured shipping in the US

Surfscanner Detectors

PM me here at FInds, or email me at; wcrabtre@comcast.net

Thanks
Mr. Bill

I know I still have people ask about the modifications. Right now I am on the search for a few choice late-issue Classic III SL's and IDX Pros. After some demonstrations the past month and a half I have been getting requests for a good 'Classic' model.

I'll share your good news update. Sure wish these detectors with your mods were a production run offering.

Monte

Hey Monte....I have also thought about getting another Classic 3SL before they get hard to find. Then I wouldn't have to get a lower rod for the one I have to put a different size coil on.After I bought yours from you,I bought another one without the mods and I sent it to Alaska to my Nephew but that was the last new one I bought.They don't show up for sale as often as they use to.I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I find what you are looking for.If you ever see another 5.5 inch Ferret I know you'll probably jump on it but I sure would like to get another one just like it.I'm sure the Whites smaller coils will do just fine though.I never got the chance to compare the 2.I ordered .350 for my Classic years ago but the person ripped me off and never sent my coil to me.IF something happens to the Ferret then I won't have any other choice but to get a small coil from Whites for a 6.50khz detector.But I'm sure it'll do Great in the nails and other trash. I am Hooked on small coils.Just about every place I search is trashy.
I read some of your articles about High frequency vs low Frequency vs High and Low conductors and I agree what you said because the frequency of the Classic 3SL is 6.59 and I have NO problem getting Nickles and lower conductors including jewelry and the like.I also have NO problem getting good signals on brass or silver.In fact I have found more nickles with the Classic 3SL than what I did with my 15khz King Cobra and My 12.5khz Treasure Baron and another higher frequency Garrett. I also don't have any problem getting good signals on very small jewelry with the C3SL of course mine is with the Mr.Bills mods which increases performance. Well,sorry for all the ramble but every time I see something about the Classics I just have to put my 2 zincolns in! If you and/or Mr Bill start re-manufacturing the Classics again,I'll be your First customer!!!
I wish you The Best Luck in looking for a Choice Classic!!!

Ron K.

I love the idx classic sl its a great little machine what kinda mods are there for the idx ?

I bought an IDX Classic SL from a friend of mine and am having alot of fun with it. I did not know there were any modifications for the machine though. I am new to metal detecting and new to the forum, so any advice for this machine would be greatly appreciated.

The Classic III, Classic IDX & IDX Pro can all be modified by Mr. Bill Crabtree above. He adds an adjustableThreshold, and adjustable Ground Balance. These two mods make a great detector even better!

Re: Classic, ID, IDX, and IDX Pro Modifications New
Posted by: pinecreekkid [ Send a Message ]

I bought an IDX Classic SL from a friend of mine and am having alot of fun with it. I did not know there were any modifications for the machine though. I am new to metal detecting and new to the forum, so any advice for this machine would be greatly appreciated.

The best advice I could give to you for the IDX, is to take it out & use it. Use it a lot, and familiarise yourself with the operation of the unit. The IDX is a super, straight forward, metal detector, easy to understand. With this said it will take about 6 months or so to be real familiar with it. I would set aside any thoughts of having it modified, at least until your completely familiar with the unit. You may be surprised to discover that you have no need for any modifications on that unit at all. :)

Mr. Bill

Thank you Tom, and thank you Mr. Bill for the advice. I am on vacation for the next couple of weeks so I should be able to get out and hit a lot of the local parks.
I found that if I set the machine up with the factory presets I miss alot of nickles, so I started using it with the sensetivity set to max and the disc. set to two clicks below ring range, with it set up this way I get alot of trash but I also get the nickles that I have been missing before. I learn something new every time I go out, and what I have learned lately is that metal detecting is addictive. Thanks again for the advice.

Mr.Bill said:
Re: Classic, ID, IDX, and IDX Pro Modifications New
Posted by: pinecreekkid [ Send a Message ]

The best advice I could give to you for the IDX, is to take it out & use it. Use it a lot, and familiarise yourself with the operation of the unit. The IDX is a super, straight forward, metal detector, easy to understand. With this said it will take about 6 months or so to be real familiar with it. I would set aside any thoughts of having it modified, at least until your completely familiar with the unit. You may be surprised to discover that you have no need for any modifications on that unit at all. :)

Mr. Bill

Very Honest advice Mr. Bill

I have a Mr. Bill modified IDX Pro and the modifications (knob adjustable Threshold&Groundbalance) are a great addition to an already great detector. It just depends on how your stock Classic is set up with the 'factory' Threshold setting. As I have read and understood Monte's postings on this subject, some Classic models come from the 'factory' set up with a too loud of a threshold setting as to make the trigger operated all-metal mode useless. THIS setting needs to be 'just audible' so as to be usefull in pinpointing and to check for a usefull ground balance. If you check the operation of the threshold and if it is set up correctly, then you can check the 'factory' ground balance per the 'factory' manual.

I purchased a Classic ID for a friend off of the forum classifieds and checked the detector out for him when it arrived. These Classic series are simple to operate:: I just filled the battery case with 8 fresh AA batteries and took it outside and turned it on full sensitivity and Discrimination set at about 9:00 on the dial. Then I pulled the trigger operated all-metal switch and the 'factory' threshold setting was set 'just right' with a low threshold hum......Perfect. I kept it in the all-metal mode and put the coil to the ground and swung the coil around to find a 'metal-free' area of ground. Once I had found a 'clean' patch of ground, I pumped the coil up and down per 'factory' manual instructions and recieved a 'slight' rise in threshold sound. This detector that my friend was buying was set up Perfectly from the White's factory :thumbup:

New here and hope I dont ask silly ?'s.
I have been out of hunting for almost 7 years now and have found a local IDX pro for sale cheap.
I live in Key West, Fl
Sure I would love to buy a expensive beach machine. But......
So, to all experts.
Will the IDX pro help me with beach hunts?
Will the IDX pro help me with Mr. Bill's mods and beach hunts?
Or is it not the right thing to start with after being away for so long?
Thx
Joey

It should do well there just the way it is. May have a tad bit of problem in the wet sand/water edge. I can't see you having any problems in the dry sand. Go for it.

Mr. Bill

What about the Classic II SL ? can that be modified?

It's basically the same circuit as all the Classics. The modifications become more apparent with the Classic II. Other words, one gains more from it.

Mr. Bill

I did everything but the boost mod that Mr. Bill does on these machines on an old Classic II Sl, and it was like night and day...the machine became more stable, and deeper seeking...deep coins just popped, where before the mod, they were faint whispers...After the mod, if you hear faint whispers, you better break out the backhoe...

HH,

P.S. Glad your still performing these Mods Mr. Bill...It would be a shame if the knowledge just went away...If you ever do stop doing these mods, I sure hope you pass the knowledge down to another capable tech.

Will White's still service an IDX pro that has Bill's mods? I guess I want the best of both worlds, but am concerned if I have it modded that if something goes awry, White's will turn their nose at it. Anybody have any experience with this?

Sorry I posted this question twice...please see above question.

What are the Mods for the Classic II SL , Thank You, Mickfin

i think he put a ground balance button on it an a depth meter on it too...like i SAID I THINK..