Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Classic IDx +, Classic IDX, and IDX Pro.. What's the difference between these units?

The IDX pro is supposed to have 30% more depth due to some tweeking on the internal gain. I thought the IDX went deep enough!

First, you have to know that I am, BASICALLY, a Classic Series fan. By I am referring to the tried-and-true Classic SL series that was discontinued.

With the 'original' Classic SL series, ALL models operated at 6.59 kHz. The Classic I SL had a fixed 8" coil, and the Classic II SL had an interchangeable 8" coil HOWEVER it did not share the same Blue Max series of coils as the rest of them.

The Classic III SL featured a Frequency Shift as well as a Normal/Black Sand toggle that simply expanded or enhanced the lower discriminate adjustment range.

The Classic ID was based on the simple 2-knob control design of the Classic II, but it also introduced the "flash technology" Target ID of the Classic series. It also came with the 8" Blue Max coil standard.

The Classic IDX was essentially a Classic III SL with the Classic ID Target ID circuitry added. It was supplied with a Blue Max 950 coil.

The IDX Pro was mainly a name change (to the "Pro" series about 6 or 7 years ago, but there was a very slight enhancement of the upper-end Sensitivity. Most (including me) could seldom tell any difference. The main advantage of the IDX Pro was a change in the decals to a non-glare decal below the TID display. I sure appreciated the elimination of sun glare! The IDX Pro retained the same 950 Blue max coil and it, like the Classic IDX, Classic ID and Classic III SL, could use all of the "Blue Max" series of coils, to include 4", 3x6 DD, 6

Thanks Monte! You have a wealth of information! Do you know what type of performance these machines produced? Was it at least on par with the Classic ID series? I notice that it has similar controls to the Classic ID, but with a black sand switch. The reason that I ask, is that I know of someone that wants to buy one used. I had never heard of this unit until a few days ago. I don't want them to purchase a lame duck, so to speak. Thanks for all of your help.

Dave

Thanks Monte! You have a wealth of information!... Thanks, and I hope I was o some help in a decision.
Do you know what type of performance these machines produced? Was it at least on par with the Classic ID series?... A tricky question to answer. First, let me tell you this:

► The Classic III SL, Classic ID and IDX Pro all provide excellent in-the-field performance and do a great job of handling iron nail type trash. Their rejection is very "clean" as I would describe the audio qualities of these models. These 6.59 kHz models share all the Blue Max series of coils.

► The Prizm series was brought out with a thought of replacing the Classic series. They operate at 8.1 kHz and, if I recall correctly, they use a different coil connector plug and jack.

► With the intro of the Prizm models the idea was to make them a dealer-direct type of sale. Kellyco wanted something from White's that they could sell so White's made them the Classic 4 (based on the Classic II) and the Classic 5-ID (based on the Classic ID). However, to keep these from cutting in on the Priam models, they changed the Classic 4 and Classic 5-ID to operate at the same 8.1 kHz of th4e Prizm series and not the 6.59 kHz as former Classic models.

► I evaluated a Classic 5-ID and, being a 'Classic' fan, I really like the physical package, and the one I had was an early-release Classic 5-ID that was supplied with an 8" coil. The Classic 4 initially had the 9

I never got more than a 10% gain....even then the IDX with the Surfscanner mods and tweaks was a hotter machine.