Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cleaning found change

WV62

I have about $400 in found change and I was wondering if anybody knows of a quick and easy way to cleaning it up?
I am thinking of cashing all I can in to help with the coin shortage here in the USA.

Thanks,
Ron in WV

A few months ago local credit union would not take my discolored coins. They said the Mint was temporarily not accepting mutilated coins for exchange, gave me a website to go to. Website regarding mutilated coins talks about exactly that, mutilated and nothing about discolored. Managed to get either a person to answer my question or a really smart robot, not sure. Referred to State Banking Regulatory Commission, advised each bank facility should have written policy regarding discolored (read that recovered from the environment) coins. Went back to credit union two weeks ago, apparently my coins weren’t so dirty now. Made straight across cash trade.
Anyway, one of our guys here suggested a solution of one cup of white vinegar and one tablespoon of salt and let soak. Can hasten the process with an appropriate tumbler/shaker or just agitate the coins every couple hours and drain. It actually worked pretty good.
I forget which forum post that was in but a warning, dont use that with pennies or put them in with the clad. You will experience a big booboo.

It was Elmy in the General Interests Forum!!!!

A few months ago local credit union would not take my discolored coins. They said the Mint was temporarily not accepting mutilated coins for exchange, gave me a website to go to. Website regarding mutilated coins talks about exactly that, mutilated and nothing about discolored. Managed to get either a person to answer my question or a really smart robot, not sure. Referred to State Banking Regulatory Commission, advised each bank facility should have written policy regarding discolored (read that recovered from the environment) coins. Went back to credit union two weeks ago, apparently my coins weren’t so dirty now. Made straight across cash trade.
Anyway, one of our guys here suggested a solution of one cup of white vinegar and one tablespoon of salt and let soak. Can hasten the process with an appropriate tumbler/shaker or just agitate the coins every couple hours and drain. It actually worked pretty good.
I forget which forum post that was in but a warning, dont use that with pennies or put them in with the clad. You will experience a big booboo.

I will give the white vinegar and salt a try, at least maybe I can get the clad cleaned up and back out in the world.
Elmy has been working with me on some good tips for setting up my E-Trac.

Thanks for passing on the coin cleaner process.

Ron in WV

I first soak in a bowl of DW detergent to get the outer layer of grime off. Then put in a bowl with a cover and add a bottle of peroxide. Shake every now and then. Even better put in bowl with cover and add bottle of RealLemon will look like new(dont do this on coins you want to keep will destroy the patina.

I use a tumbler that has small needle bearings as media. Tumble the pennies and nickles separate, and the clad dimes and quarters can be done together.

Local bank sent in around $36.00 in mutilated discolored change and the mint sent it back. They knew I collected coins so they just gave it to me because they were going to throw it in trash. Salvaged ten 90% silver coins and used my hydraulic press to straighten out modern change and separated out the pre 1982 copper pennies. Cleaned the discolored coins in salt and vinegar. Was able to save over $20.00 of it. Haven’t calculated the value of the silver as I have to weigh it. All of the silver was very mutilated and just good for silver scrap value. Maybe the mint policy could turn into an opportunity?

Why metal detect if the bank is just going to give you silver. LOL

Nice save,

Ron in WV

Everyone seems to have their method of cleaning coins to take to the banks. I like mine to be looking as close to new as possible so there is no problem at the bank and the counting machines.
I have done this for a few in my area and just did about $300 one guy has found last year. I have 2 different tumblers, one is a 25 pound one and one a 5 pounder for small batches of some difficult ones. First I separate the pennies from the clad and the pennies are quick and easy and use at this time stainless steel shot I got on the auction site. I use water and lemon juice and tumble for about a couple of hours, drain and clean in fresh water. On the clad I also do the same thing, but the first step was to get most of the dirt off, then rinse off and do this again with the lemon juice for a good 5 or more hours and even have unplug the tumbler over nite and let the coin soak and run it the next morning for a hour or so and drain and wash them off. Now some will look nice and some will need more cleaning. This is where my small tumbler comes in as I will use it to clean the real bad ones and have use muradic acid with my stainless steel shot. I use water too with just a little acid for maybe 30 minute and rinse again and put back in with the lemon juice to make sure the acid is off. If found out if you don't get them back in water and lemon juice right away they will turn gray or red in color.
Now I will let them air dry on a towel and them look at them and take the damaged one out and even straighten some out between 2 blocks of wood and a hammer. On the pennies I will take out any bent one and the zinc that are eaten up a bit before I take them to the bank and I do not roll them as they have a counter at my bank and don't want the rolled up. One more thing I always do is run a magnet in with the coins so any that are Canadian get taken out as the back here do not want them. Never had the bank ever give any back or jammed up their machines.
Maybe I get to fussy with some as they look better than new and smoother too so you wouldn't have to do them as much and just so they look OK.

Rick

try white vinegar and salt in the small tumbler and tumble 1/2 hour on a handful.....rinse off real good and wipe with a soft cloth....total time 45 minutes or less and just as good looking coins.
worth a try ....less hassle.

This should make some shudder...... back in the 60’s there was a restaurant that one of their signature points was getting your change back that the coins and paper looked Mint new. Not sure what they did to the paper bills but the silver coins were dipped in mercury.

This should make some shudder...... back in the 60’s there was a restaurant that one of their signature points was getting your change back that the coins and paper looked Mint new. Not sure what they did to the paper bills but the silver coins were dipped in mercury.
That is what we came to know as don't go near mercury......when I was a kid some broke thermometers just to play with the mercury. I am glad we didn't have any in our house or sure I would have done that !

I think I will pass on the mercury. LOL