Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cleaning rusty parts.

Dick from NC

If you have those old rusty parts that you dug and want to clean them use molasses. Yes molasses. I use Granny's Molasses. I will go to Walmart and get 3 or 4 jars of Granny's Molasses or any molasses and mix 1 part molasses to 10 parts water. I will take a 5 gallon bucket and empty the jar of molasses and fill the jar 10 times with hot water and empty as many jars as I want. If I get 4 jars of molasses I put 40 jars of water in the bucket and mix it up. I figure hot water will mix better than cold. Then I drop my rusty parts in and leave then in for a few weeks. After a few weeks I'll take them out and wire brush them and see if they are clean enough. If not I'll put them back in as long as it takes to clean then up to my satisfaction. When I'm satisified with the results I'll wash them off with water, dry and spray them with WD40. The molasses mixture is not harmful and a lot easier and safer than electrolysis, which I have used also.
Now if you have some parts with paint on them it will take the paint off also. I'll take some pictures of some rusty tools and drop the in my molasses and show what happen after each week. Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Another good way to clean rust off of old iron relics is to soak them for a week or 2 in white vinegar. The solution will turn black and don't get it on your hands because it won't come off easy. Rinse the items off in a bucket of water and let the items dry. After drying a light film of rust will form on them. Wire brush it off and put oil or wax on them. I used furniture wax on mine.

Rick N. MI

Dick
good post ... i never herd of it... but heck i`ll try it thanks
Gary