Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CNN runs big story about beach hunting

Well you cant find it if you dont know where to look - so thanks to them for telling us.

And a curse on them for telling EVERYBODY!

When something like this comes out,,everybody goes and buys a metal detector. Then after they try it ,,,most put it in the closet. But not all,,,maybe the few that get lucky enough to find a gold ring or something good when they are first learning ,,running blind!! Well they may keep it up. But most ,,, never get it out again. And that is how you and I get great deals on a used (brand new) detector!!

Thats the best light I can put on the whole thing,,,honestly,,,I wish it would never hit the news or any program for the public.

I have seen a few people at a park before ,,,,, that I know just bought them a new detector. Full size shovel,,,,,digging a hole 2 ft deep,,looking around like they are digging up chest full of coins. The first time I seen this ,,it was a father and son,, I think. I tried to explain to them that they can't do that. Chances are whatever they were looking for was in the pile beside the hole,,and buried by dirt from the hole ,,so deep,, the machine can't pick it up no longer. lol It was useless,,,I just walked away shaking my head.

Some people don't know what problems they can cause for everyone,,,,

flash5153 said:
When something like this comes out,,everybody goes and buys a metal detector. Then after they try it ,,,most put it in the closet. But not all,,,maybe the few that get lucky enough to find a gold ring or something good when they are first learning ,,running blind!! Well they may keep it up. But most ,,, never get it out again. And that is how you and I get great deals on a used (brand new) detector!!

Thats the best light I can put on the whole thing,,,honestly,,,I wish it would never hit the news or any program for the public.

I have seen a few people at a park before ,,,,, that I know just bought them a new detector. Full size shovel,,,,,digging a hole 2 ft deep,,looking around like they are digging up chest full of coins. The first time I seen this ,,it was a father and son,, I think. I tried to explain to them that they can't do that. Chances are whatever they were looking for was in the pile beside the hole,,and buried by dirt from the hole ,,so deep,, the machine can't pick it up no longer. lol It was useless,,,I just walked away shaking my head.

Some people don't know what problems they can cause for everyone,,,,
And Im going to lump the detector makers in that group. The mass marketing of detectors has to potential effect of killing the hobby as we know it. The more people that are involved, the more regulations and watchdogging must surely follow.
And it will continue. The most popular purchases these days? Lottery tickets and metal detectors.

One of the user comments on this story said:

Two years ago my wife lost her engagement ring at the beach. She went back the next morning, and asked a metal detectorist walking the beach to help her locate it.

He did, they found it, he gladly returned it, and would not accept any reward money. I think that was pretty cool of him.

I think that's fine example of how many of us would gladly help others. We are happy when we find lost stuff, but I think we also realize that with each lost coin or piece of jewelry, there is disappointment...sometimes great disappointment, sometimes a little. It's nice to be able to return some kindness now and then and be a "hero."

- Muddyshoes