Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil bolt change for Excal II

patti

Hi, I got myself a Sunray Intruder S-12 coil this summer for my Excal II. I put water proof connectors on to the coil cable of the original 8" coil and the 12,5" coil so I can switch coils depending on what I need. This coil swapping has brought a problem with it. The standard Minelab coil bolt lasted like two coil changes before its thread broke down - too soft material. I then switched to other detector brand's stronger bolt but it too wore out after about a dozen coil switches. I think I have gone through 4-5 bolts this summer. The best coil bolt I have seen is the one that Garrett uses for Ace 250 and Seahunter mk II. It is thick, has good thread and is easily operated. I would like to change my Excal's bolt to this Garret bolt but since they are not the same diameter I am not sure whether it is wise to drill bigger holes to the coil ears or not. My fear is that the coil ear will eventually break off if the hole is widened to accomodate the Garrett bolt.

So my question for help and advice is: Has anyone modded their Excal coil bolt for a thicker diameter and was it worth it or did it cause problems? If you have done it, please share your experiences and advice on it.

Thanks,

patti

Head up to your local hobby store and ask to see the "wing bolts", which are just nylon bolts that you can get in the same diameter. Small mom and pop hardware stores also usually have them. Also, you can probably save the coil bolt you have. Coat it with a fine coat of super glue. It will thicken up the threads and also prevent it from wearing out. I wouldn't drill the hole out myself.

Dont know where, but i read some one used toilet bolts..... i think it was CUPAJOE. I wouldnt drill it out, but i do know those bolts in that size arent easy to find at that length.

Dew

Pretty sure Dew is right about it being cupajoe with the suggestion of using toilet bolts - I went and got a couple of those and they work great. Havent had anything come loose or strip since putting it on. No need to drill anything out.

The Lowes in my area carry the white nylon bolts and wing nuts that fit.

My local hardwear store sells those white nylon bolts and wing nuts real hard treads no problems either since and same size as stock plus dirt cheap.
For a quick fix while on the beach i got a box of assorted plumping washers black place a washer before the nut then tighten on better threads .Jim

Besides coating the threads with CA (super glue) to make them harder and also fix a stripping problem on them, here's another trick that might work. In RC planes one of the tricks some use is to boil the nylon bolts in hot water. It makes them brittle instead of soft and "bendy". The reason why they do that is so that the bolt will snap if the plane crashes hard so there will be less damage if the wing is allowed to come off on impact. I've never done that to see, but I suspect that if it makes the nylon bolts more brittle, then I bet it also makes the threads harder and less soft. If it does, that should harden the threads up and make them less prone to stripping, but as said I've coated nylon bolts that stripped on me on my planes with CA and it fixed the stripping issue. It thickened up the threads on the bad bolts, and also prevents further thread damage in the future because it makes the surface of the bolt read hard.