Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Cable Spliting

morelic55

The cable on my 8" coil for my 1236 is splitting in several places, has anyone else seen this? Can Fisher replace the cable? Short of wrapping the whole cable with black tape what else can I do?

Thanks,
Mark

I had one that did the same thing, I don't think the factory can do anything with it but you could call and find out. I did the tape deal on mine and later I bought a used one.

Ron in WV

The only other thing you could is un solder the plug and slide heat shrink on it Mark. But be sure to take and write down each wires location on the connector and pics also help.

Now that would be a good fix.

Ron in WV

One of my cables on my CoinStrike split badly. I wrapped it with electrical tape, then wrapped the end of the tape with string to keep it from unraveling. The tape is doing very well but gotta wrap the end with string or it will start to unravel in no time.

I bought a new 10" Fisher ID Edge coil and after a year of sitting I was
cleaning the closet out and noticed right where it goes into coil the
cable has shredded from sitting. This is brand new mind you.
My take on this is that Fisher used bad jacketing on some of their
coils.This coil has never been used and it's falling apart just sitting.
No more Fishers here but I'll keep the Edge as it is one great little unit!!!
silverseeker 2

This is a good fix I did on my Fisher LF-990-D when the cover split and it worked great. UN-soldered the connector and slid a long run of heat shrink over the whole cable and use a heat gun to shrink it and that's all she wrote, good as knew. Of coarse I re- soldered the connector on.. Hope this helps someone out there. Copy the pin out before you un-solder it.

Sorry 88Junior didn't see your earlier post on the heat shrink before I posted. Guess great minds think alike.

No problem Shooter!! The heat shrink fix works great.

Not an uncommon problem with the Fisher detectors, had to happen to a 1280x (1990's), Coinstrike, Edge.
That's what happens when you buy crap wire with defective jacketing that breaks down in normal airspace and light.

I recently came close to buying a 1270 on eBay until I recognized the electrical tape wrap job on the coil cable.
:(

Age does funny things to detectors as well as people, I guess.
What's that saying? "Time may be the Great Physician, but it's a Horrible Beautician."
:)

mike

I have the old one if someone needs it and can fix it, PM me if interested............

morelic55 said:
Called Fisher, Got a new one on the way $80 + Shipping..................Mark