Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil calibration?

I own the Golden uMax and would like to get a wide scan, I am thinking about that 7 in coil. Is is really necessary to send the machine in with the coil to calibrate it? I just don't want to give up the machine for a few weeks if it is not really worth it.

hihosilver....

You might luck out and have a usable ground balance with the 7" widescan coil. Since the Golden

I've switched pretty much all the options (size wise) on multiple Tesoros and several widescans without encountering any problems. The one exception was the 10X12 Spider on my DeLeon which chattered a bit, but as I have several manual GB detectors I can use, it didn't matter much to me. Some years ago, I called Tesoro about this issue and was told that if I were going to use one particular coil most of the time, it COULD be a good idea to send the coil and detector in to be tuned for most OPTIMUM performance. I've had good enough performance across the board with my particular coils and detectors, I've never felt the need for that. Granted, I might not be getting the most performance possible in some cases, but I haven't seen any obvious performance problems, either. IMHO, one should always give the different coil a fair trial before deciding whether to send it off. For what it's worth, my experience/opinion comes from using 5 preset ground Tesoros which have all performed will in most of the locations I usually detect. Hope this is helpful.
BB

You can have a coil out of tune regardless of which detector it's attached to. Even those detectors with a manual ground balance can benefit from using coils that are in tune.

Leaving search coils in a hot car is a big no no. The epoxy that holds the coil wire windings in place melts causing them to move about and become out of tune.

Anyway that's what I've been told.:)

tabman

I can't argue with Tabman's post as what he mentions could be a cause for less than ideal performance. Try it and see how it works, then if in doubt, send it in.
BB

Thank you gentlemen, much appreciated. One of the sites I am hunting has areas where the targets are very, very close and it is hard to tell trash from treasure or a good hit from falling at times. I am hoping the widescan, with that long narrow detection field will help at this site.

It will, that coil does a great job of target separation. There is a test I do when I try different coils on different machines. I place a primerpunch from my reloader near a coin and see how close it can be before it will mask out the target. The 7" Widescan was able to sound off on the coin within about an inch and a half with a slower than normal sweep speed. It needs to be at least 4" away for the 5.75 concentric to pick up the coin. Just remember do some tests of your own before heading out and figure out the best sweep speed and I think you will be impressed with this coil.