Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Cover! Too late for my coil :)

Today was the first time I've looked closely at the bottom of my ATX coil in quite a while. The photo below does not do the scrapes and scratches justice :)

It would have been nice to have the proper beach/surf coil cover right from the get go. I do have the serving tray sand collector that Garrett sent me after my repairs.
If I used duct or gorilla tape on the coil, the gumminess would have collect sand and crap, so I opted not to.
My coil is in constant contact with the sand as I scan to maximize depth, tape would not last with me.

Anyway, hopefully Garrett will trade me my close style cover for the grid style cover when available before I wear the epoxy down to the coil windings :)

I covered my coil with an automotive wiring harness tubing. It is like and catapiller but one "side" is cut. I put it over the coil and used tape on the tubing.
No glue to get rid of when the open coil cover arrives. Yes water and sand will get into the catapiller's innards, but it does a bit of superficial scratching.
But no more than the serving dish would do.

Hey WaterWalker,

Epoxy is tough stuff, so I'm not concerned. The main reason I wanted a coil cover was to keeping it looking like new for resale purposes, just in case the ATX didn't work out with me.
The ATX has a two year warranty, so if the coil wears out prematurely, it just may need to be replaced under warranty :)
Who knows, Garrett may cut me a break because sand/surf coil covers were not available.

I've had my AT Pro for almost eight months and have worn out two coil covers in that time. But the coil itself still looks like new. To scan deeper with the AT Pro, I'm constantly touching the dry sand. In selected areas, I have the coil buried two inches in the sand while sliding the coil back and forth slowly while walking backwards. It works, I've found deep silver coins that way.

I'm doing the same. But not knowing how long and how many rocks I would be hitting...I had to do something.
Just as a coil cover wears through, I cover the thining areas with PC-7, a two part epoxy. It gives the cover another run for a few more pieces of gold.
The PC-7 is the best I have come across it come in a small tube with caps on either end and larger tin cans - more economical.

I tend to put more into a reply in hopes that it might help someone. Lord knows I have picked up so many tips I can't remember them all...thanks.

I love walking backwards to get all that I missed going forward. It is a shorter trip back to the car that way also.

Hello all. Never posted here before but thought I could add my method of coil protection. I buy what is best described as plastic hardware cloth and tye wrap an appropriate sized piece to my coil then trim with scissors. It lets water and debris through yet protects the coil. It also seems to have the added benefit of reducing bump noise in the head phones. Hope this helps someone.

Hey Buddyinbeaumont,

Can you take a picture of the bottom of your coil and show everyone what it looks like? Thanks.

Buddyinbeaumont said:
Hello all. Never posted here before but thought I could add my method of coil protection. I buy what is best described as plastic hardware cloth and tye wrap an appropriate sized piece to my coil then trim with scissors. It lets water and debris through yet protects the coil. It also seems to have the added benefit of reducing bump noise in the head phones. Hope this helps someone.

Hi Buddyinbeaumont,

Is Beaumont in your username as in Beaumont, TX, or Beaumont, CA?

Your plastic cloth/net tie strapped on would work okay if you hover your coil, but with me, I'm in constant contact with the sand and anything other than a smooth surface would cause to much drag/friction with the sand. It would make swinging back and forth a real chore. That beast is hard enough to swing with a smooth epoxy surface :)

Yea that full size coil cover prob not the best for the beach. Out relic hunting or prospecting I just glide it accross the ground. It actually takes weight off the machine. If it gets dirt or other crap in it I just turn it over to empty it out, no big deal.
I would still like to have one of the open coil covers...

BK

ivanll said:

NO! How about a coil cover ... and, by the way, I like my scratches, it gives my coil some character :)

And the word your looking for is spelled "whiner" here in the states