Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Depth Question

Beep'n

From what I understand the width of the coil determines depth. With that being said, would there be an advantage to the 13x11 coil vs. the 11 inch coil. They are both 11 inches wide and if the statement is true, then wouldn't they both have the same depth capability? The advantage I see with the larger coil would be faster coverage of an area.

The depth of a coil is not determined by size alone.
For instance a 6" dd Equinox coil will go deeper than some/many 11" coils.
As far as using a 13x11" is not going to get you much more depth if any than the 11" coil
I'm a firm believer that most standard coils that comes with a detector is the best coil for that detector.

Width or minor axis of elliptical coil largely determines depth as a rule of thumb, and the length or major axis of an elliptical determines ground coverage. That said, some well made small coils of either shape give amazing depth, often greater than their sided would suggest.

Width or minor axis of elliptical coil largely determines depth as a rule of thumb, and the length or major axis of an elliptical determines ground coverage. That said, some well made small coils of either shape give amazing depth, often greater than their sided would suggest.

Why I used the Equinox 6" DD coil as an example is it's the deepest small coil I have ever used
Then i would say the Fisher CZ Series 8" Stock coils

Depth for me is not always found in the size of the coil, but the ability to find targets hidden by other objects buried close by also called masking. I have found my Best finds ever with the smaller coils made by the detectors manufacture. I have gone to parks with the Biggest, baddest coil with several other people doing the same, only to return to the very same spot we all hunted, with a small coil finding my best find ever next to a junk target.

The width of the coil is definitely a factor for estimating depth on most entry to mid range detectors. Soil conditions like density, moisture levels and mineralization levels play a major role too in increasing or drastically decreasing depth for most of those beginner to intermediate level detectors. The XP Deus is a high end detector. It is a very "hot" high gain detector that can be run even hotter by adjusting its transmit signal level and other settings. However, I agree with some of the previous posters that bigger for the Deus/ORX is not necessarily deeper. The HF coils with their higher frequencies and bigger batteries are remarkably deep for their size. My testing on the white HF 9" coil shows it to be deeper than the 9" X35 coil and is equal to the 11" X35 running at close to the same frequency in bad dirt. So, with the Deus, I wonder what size coil it was originally designed and optimized for? Was it the 9" or 11"? For me where I hunt most of the time, the X35 11" or the older 11" LF coils did not offer anymore raw depth than the HF 9". They did offer more coverage for sure.

Jeff

Thanks for the feedback.
Why I used the Equinox 6" DD coil as an example is it's the deepest small coil I have ever used
Then i would say the Fisher CZ Series 8" Stock coils
Sounds like we have the same taste in detectors. I like both those coils.

Bigger is better
2020-03-04_073719.jpg
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I wonder if he has kids?? :lol:

Depth for me is not always found in the size of the coil, but the ability to find targets hidden by other objects buried close by also called masking. I have found my Best finds ever with the smaller coils made by the detectors manufacture. I have gone to parks with the Biggest, baddest coil with several other people doing the same, only to return to the very same spot we all hunted, with a small coil finding my best find ever next to a junk target.

I agree with one caveat. Unfortunately some trash mainly caps will totally mask a good target even with a small coil which begs that old question do you dig them or pass. Ive done both sometimes with good results(Ill still take a smaller coil any day)

I have owned all the Deus coils, have a lot of hours on many coils and many machines. The best coil I owned of all the Deus coils was the 13" X-35. Is it deeper in a test garden than the others?
Absolutely!!

For me the biggest advantage I have seen with a larger coil is that I cover an area more completely, which results in more recovered good targets.

The depth of a coil is not determined by size alone.
For instance a 6" dd Equinox coil will go deeper than some/many 11" coils.
As far as using a 13x11" is not going to get you much more depth if any than the 11" coil
I'm a firm believer that most standard coils that comes with a detector is the best coil for that detector.
I don’t agree about factory coils. My extraction ran best with SEF butterfly coils, by far.

The 13” is slightly deeper than the 11” but not much. In the real world it’s the ground coverage that adds up all day long. That’s the advantage not the depth.