Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil falses on stubble !!

The other day I was out swinging my old Golden Sabre in a farm field full of soybean plant stubble. The ground was good and dry out. I did not notice it when I first got there, but after a while I started to get false signals every time I bumped up against or scraped over the stubble. No matter where I put the sensitivity control it would not stop. I even found that when I lifted the detector waist high off the ground and shook the coil it would false as well.

When I got back home I brought the machine to my basement shop and checked all the solder connections on the plug and fiddled with the wire where it entered the coil...no falsing! I shook the coil in the air too...no falsing. I even removed the coil cover and all silicon just in case. It is almost as if some static or something built up on the coil while swing in the field over the stubble that disappeared when back at home?

Any ideas what causes it and what to do about it?

Was the coil cable reasonably secure near the coil?
BB

Not uncommon to find many detectors will do that when they hit stubble, tree trunks.....
Can't verify it at the moment but seems to happen more often with coils that are not completely enclosed in epoxy fill.
Is your coil foam filled or the brown donut?

Sven said:
Not uncommon to find many detectors will do that when they hit stubble, tree trunks.....
Can't verify it at the moment but seems to happen more often with coils that are not completely enclosed in epoxy fill.
Is your coil foam filled or the brown donut?

Coil is a white donut.

could it be static electricity

If you tap the coil with your hand, still hear the false?

Sven said:
If you tap the coil with your hand, still hear the false?

It did the day it was happening. Even shaking it in the air caused falsing. After I got home it stopped doing it. It was like there was a build up charge on the surface of the coil that cured itself.

Going back to that same field again tomorrow.

Went out again today in the same field. This time it was dead stable!! I removed the coil cover since the last time. I don't use this detector enough to have to worry about wearing out the bottom of the coil.

I get that with my Compadre,matter fact if you move the cable going into the coil it falses,sent it into Tesoro and they said all was fine??? It's been like that for at least a year now and still does it and it does false when you hit a clump of high grass.

my new vaquero does it sometimes if i bump the coil lightly against something. do not think it is a big deal. i would put the coil cover back on it though.

Had the same problem with first my detector cibola, took some epoxy from coil bottom and coil stopped falsing?. Now after a bit more experience in metal detectors I suspect it was loose metal bolt that hold coil, very simple. So if on your tesoro coil metal screw through it away to never, never see it again and buy plastic.