Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Opinions Please

Smudge

So I am very, very seriously considering shelling out the big bucks and buying a V3.

I am going to do a lot of hunting in trashy areas so I need a smaller coil in addition to the stock coil.

I see White's makes a 5.3" round coil and a 4x6 shooter.

Is there any preference out there as to which is better in trashy areas?

They are both good coils and both work very well in trashy areas. I prefer the 5.3 because I feel it may give me a little more depth over the 4 X 6. And it separates almost as well as the 4 X 6. Not to mention you get just a tiny bit more coverage with the 5.3 because man, that 4 X 6 is small!!

I agree with "DJB", I too have the 5.3 and it does a great job in the trashy areas with better separation of targets. If you look for coils on this forum, there are many that give their opinion. Just do a search.

Hope this helps,

TC-NM

The 4X6 would be the better choice in a high trash area due to it's narrow footprint. It has the same coverage as the 5.3 and close to the same depth. It will sift through trash with ease and will do it with exceptional target seperation that you won't get with 5.3. Either way you can't go wrong with either one of these great coils.

Ray(Ca)

Your going to enjoy the shooter. I have ran both for a couple years and the shooter is best for jewelry in high trash as you can get good reads in "blanket trash". My 4x6 was not V rated so I sold it to a friend who has a DFX.....miss it and will be getting a V rated one by summer! (So many places that require this coil seem to have a high EMI situation and TX is really important in parking strip areas with overhead and underground utilities.) The 5.3 has more than just a little depth advantage (for me at least) and both coils need to be in my bag!

My 5.3 pulled up a brass compact around the size of a half dollar from 8+" yesterday. I had been over the area many times with my d2 and there was just to much trash to see the target clearly. I have been running both and the 5.3 has been outperforming the 4x6 for the time being.... Maybe that will change tomorrow.

They both sure are nice coils, I do however need a 15x18 v-rated and light in weight.... :stretcher:

I use the 5.3 in extreme trash with excellent results, I also use it when in heavy brush where it is a big advantage because it doesn't snag as much and can work around all the obstacles on the ground. Depth wise my experience has been finding coin targets at 8+ inches with it, also for small jewelry it's really excellent. So if you elect to go with a 5.3 you won't be disappointed.

I took my 4x6 to a couple of parks over the weekend. Very trashy areas. Practicing my navigation techniques, I found these. Each came from a different park. Also recovered a wheatie at 6". Both these rings came at 4". Class of 1969 ring. Ladies is 14k. The Eclipse DD Shooter is a mighty little coil. Don't get discouraged with and hang with it. The gold jewelry is there. Find it, do a happy dance and then say:
ON TO THE NEXT.

Aurium said:
I use the 5.3 in extreme trash with excellent results, I also use it when in heavy brush where it is a big advantage because it doesn't snag as much and can work around all the obstacles on the ground. Depth wise my experience has been finding coin targets at 8+ inches with it, also for small jewelry it's really excellent. So if you elect to go with a 5.3 you won't be disappointed.

Yup Aurium, using the small coils to poke around amongst those bushes is what can keep you from going home skunked! (For some reason I find a lot of Buffalo's in those bushes!) Scott

Depends on your ground minerals - light moderate(5.3 concentric) - heavy(4x6 elliptical) - and your preference/comfort level with different type coils. Good luck with whatever you decide.