Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil protection

possum

I need to protect the coil on my Discovery 3300. Has anyone tried coating the coil with polyurethane? Any problems that might cause? Seems to me it would work well - no dirt or trash getting between the coil and the coil cover and when the urethane wore thin, just paint on another coat of it. I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone might have about this.

Hey Good Buddy,

Be very careful using th Polly on your coil because it could get too thick in areas that you do not want it to be thick. This could extend the depth and range of your finds. Polly will bubble up on you and you might have a leak and not know it. Do not agitate the container before using Polly, this will create the bubbles.
Tool coating would be a choice of mine, this will not have to be reapplied or you don't have to worry about the other problems you might have with polyurethane.
I just bought my first detector today and am exited to go out to use it.
Good hunting
hunt02

Yes, You're right about the bubbling of the poly-I used it on some boat paddles I made. Had to sand the first coat and coat it again but they turned out nice. I got some truck bed coating in a small spray can at Walmart so I'll give it a try. Probably use it on the 4" coil first. Thanks for replying.

Hey Buddy:
Read On, the tool coating might be better than the truck lining and easier to remove if it does not work. Again the depth may be effected also. Let me know how this works.
Boy I have the itch now because I found a real Diamond ring my first time the other day.
Good hunting
Hunt02

WTG. Bet that did give you the fever - a really bad case. Some people detect for years and don't find a diamond ring, some never do. Hope you have many more great finds.

Bounty Hunter makes covers for their coils...Although they are NOT water tight...the coil itself is watertight (or should be)...Do not make your coating too thick...the thicker it is, the more depth you are going to lose...I would guess that a thin coating of the tool coating, would only effect your depth less than an inch on coin sized objects (if at all), but polyurethane as mentioned above, bubbles, would be permanent, and might effect the depth differently. At least the tool coating can be cut off if you want later (assuming that it is the liquid plastic/rubber stuff.

Happy Hunting

I just used the truck bed coating in the spray can on my 8" coil.The key is to use light coats and to keep the coil level,bottom side up,while spraying.I will post my air tests when I get time.......HappyHunting!

ive noticed that when i set out to detect early mornings or after a good rain and water sets on the coil ( 7" or 10" coils ) i start to get a lot of false signals that usually are in the 8" deep range. nowadays i take a clear plastic bag, wrap around the coil and tape to the bottom of the stem. its been pretty effective so far. its quick and easy to do, i dont lose any depth, can still easily see the coil to do the "X" , and i can remove plastic easily if the grass/conditions dry up. everybody knows that the best time to go detectin is after a good rain or when theres dew on the ground. it seems that every machine i have ever owned gets squirrely when the coil gets wet. as for protecting the coil from physical damage, maybe glue some gauze strips on outer edge of coil, it would make a good bumper, and maybe a thin layer of 2 or 3 part epoxy on the bottom of the coil. but hey, these are just some ideas that i think yall might be able to use - oh yeah, be careful using the epoxy, it is hard to get off if it gets on your skin. you can get it purty cheap at any auto parts store. hope it helps, and thanx for reading,hh

I just completed an air test on my "TimeRanger",with 8" Coil,that was coated with spay on truck bed coating!!.I got audible readings at 6 to 7 inches by waving a coin{Didnt matter what kind} on edge. Then by holding it flat,which gives it a larger surface area to pick up than on edge,i recieved readings at 10 inches.I do think however,that i put to heavy a coating on this first trial Coil.I will Coat my 4 and 10 inch Coils only with about two{2} light coats.Hope this Helps....HappyHunting!!!!!!!!!!!