Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil question for Reg

Frank-S

Reg A pi mono coil has one winding,DD coil has 2 winding.
Lets say induction of mono coil is .300mh. the pi came with a mono coil
and some-one wonted to make a DD coil for that pi.is the RX .300 mh and
TX coil the same inductions,or is the RX less induction

Question for any-one that has made a DD coil for a PI detector.
the RX and TX coils do they usely have same induction.
Thanks,

Generally, the inductance of the RX is equal or greater than the TX on a DD for a PI. Some make the coils with 300 uh for the TX and 450 or so for the RX. When I made my first one, I used the same inductance for each winding. They worked, but later when I used a different inductance for the RX, they seemed to work better.

I haven't made a DD coil for a PI in years. If I were to make one now, I might use 275uh to 300 uh for the TX and maybe 425 for the RX. Since I would most likely be making one for an Eric Foster design, I would probably use 24 to 26 awg wire for the TX and much smaller for the RX, even down to 30awg kynar for the RX.

Reg

Hi Reg
I've seen posts by Eric were sometimes he mentions he uses pvc covered multistrand wire in his coils, a bit tecky , but would you know if he favors tined multi strand , or plain copper ?, thanks.

Towards the end he was trying for 10 usec use, so he used stranded Teflon coated wire for his high powered GS 5. On some others he used Kynar or Teflon coated coated 30 awg for some of his low powered coils that were for detectors not as fast.

Getting a high powered 11" coil to work at a trie 10 usec is quite an art.

Reg

Reg said:
Towards the end he was trying for 10 usec use, so he used stranded Teflon coated wire for his high powered GS 5. On some others he used Kynar or Teflon coated coated 30 awg for some of his low powered coils that were for detectors not as fast.

Getting a high powered 11" coil to work at a trie 10 usec is quite an art.

Reg

Thanks Reg, yes <10 usec is difficult.

You are right, I didn't mention the wire used on the high powered unit was stranded. I believe he used 26 awg for the high powered coils.

Reg

Thanks Reg and Davor, then tinned 26awg it is, Eric used to publish some very educational information which was very usefull for experimenting.