Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil question for REG

Frank-S

Reg.
I had some free time,so I desided to see if I can get my CS4 pi to go deeper.
with stock 10'' coil best it will do air test US nickel 7 to 8'' with sen (gain) set more +.
I have a old 10'' CS6 coil it has the same inductions as the CS4 pi.They get the same
dept at same setting.
I opeaned the CS6 coil it has no damping resister,I tryed a1.5K resister no better.
If I rember right you spent a lot of time on your CS6 coil years ago do you rember if you used
a damping resister or a noise filtter a cap and a resister in your coil.
Frank

Frank,

The only coil that might have any resistors in it is a DD coil and they would be for damping the receive winding. No mono does that I know of. No caps are normally used in PI coils.

The only way to increase the depth is to increase the gain and/or reduce the delay. You might try a larger coil, but that won't help much but will help a little.

Please ask questions on the TDI and Goldmaster forum. Google it if you don't have the website available. Ask on the TDI general sub forum.

Reg

Thanks Reg.
I use the library computer.I have to use this forum.
All coils make some noise,get rid of coil noise I found that it detects deeper.
You are right about not going to a larger coil the CS4 has a 10'' coil,it only detects a
US nickel at 7 to 8''.I am working on a different type mono coil using a 8-1/2 coil,magnet
wire.The CS4 detects a US nickel at 10'' and a gold ring at 11''
This is a good Winter project.I will see if I can get on the other forums
Frank.

If anyone from SC Cope in UK is reading this,the US( CS4 battery holder) will not fit in the
CS4 battery compartment.

I have a old 10'' CS6 coil it has the same inductions as the CS4 pi. -- hello Frank, can you write the inductivity of coils? i believe they are 1 mH. can you give a data of coils - diameter of wire and pics inside? tia

tia
I am at library, don't remember date of CS6 coil, i had it 10 years or more,picture don't have.CS6 and CS4 look alike,white
only difference is coil mount CS4 mount is closer to center of coil.inductance if I remember the CS6 1.12 MH on the 20MH scale.
on my meter.wire #30. I am experimenting I use wire that I have
Do you have the CS6 control box or circuit board.

Reg
I registered at TDI Goldmaster Forum, White blocked it.
If you wont to contact me you can get me at this address.
fjs5015@yahoo.com
Frank.

thank you. yes, Frank i have some info. email me a reply on mdforall@gmail.com and I'll send all to you.

Frank,

You have to be approved by the owner to join the goldmaster and TDI forum and he has been out of town for a while. You should be approved shortly.

Now, as for the coil for the CS 6, it should be 1mh. Resistance of the coil doesn't mean much because the CS 6 has a 39 ohm resistor in series with the coil. This keeps the coil current low and independent of coil resistance. Eric typically used 30awg for similar coil designs.

Your nickel air test is about right of 8" to 10". Lowering the 39 ohm resistor to 15 to 20 ohms should help with depth. Don't go much lower in resistance because it could endanger the FET. Shortening the delay will help on a CS 6. On the CS 4 which is microprocessor controlled, it is more difficult. You might try a faster crystal for the micro.

you might also try reducing the value of the input resistor which is the resistor between the coil and the preamp opamp. Usually it is a 2.2k or a 1K. You might try going from a 2.2k to 1K or if the resistor is a 1K down to a 470 ohm or so. Don't go any lower. You might have to use a resistor between my suggested value and the original value. As an example if the resistor is a 1K you might need to try a 750 ohm or so first and make sure it works before you go lower in value.

Back in my CS 6 days, I could get typically 12" to 13" on a nickel but only after a bunch of mods and placing the nickel on the ground. On very rare quiet days I could hear the nickel up to 15" to 17" but this was very rare when using special headphones and placing the nickel on the ground and measuring between the nickel and the coil.

Placing a nickel on the ground and doing an air test will usually display greater distance than when both the nickel and coil are in the air.

One final bit of info, there are different battery holders made today. Most are larger than some made previous. However, there is one brand that matches the earlier ones and can be purchased I think at Digikey. I will need to check this, though.

Reg

Thank Reg
When you finish the SL Mod will you let me know.
Have the person that does the mod E-mail me.
Frank.

Reg,

i sent all info on CS4PI and CS6PI to Frank. i hope Frank will send that to you. if you HAVE anything
that there ARE ABSENT let me know what you are keeping in your archive.

TIA

TIA
I did not get anything on my computer,I don't have Reg E-mail address
the only way that i can talk to REG is on this forum.
Frank.

I send all on your email fjs50**__yahoo.com
is it not your address?

fjs5015@yahoo.com
I use public library for mail, don't know what happened.
check message cent you have a record of it.
Frank.

Frank,

I don't hide my email address. In fact if you click on my name on any post I make where it says posted by Reg, you will see my email address. BTW, here is my email address. You can email me at rgsniff@comcast.net .

Rick S will be doing the initial mods to enhance the depth for beach hunters on the SL and TDI. He can be reached by posting on the goldmaster and TDI forum run by Miner John. Rick S email is cs6gold@gmail.com

Rick still needs to get a couple of parts for the mods. The original design was to use DD coils and enhance signals from them. However for people wanting to use their mono coils, it takes a slight change than originally planned since the original idea was to be used with the DOD coil. BTW, the depth seems to be limited with the DOD so it is being tabled for the time being. it works fine but doesn't go as deep as I would like.

Reg

check spam basket in your mail too. sometimes some mails got in there.

Thanks Red
I will wait about a month then E-mail Rick S.
Can you tell me dept on US nickel air test,for SL will it detect small gold.
Frank.

TIA
I checked spam,it consist of old post nothing that i can use.
You said that you had info on CS6pi and CS4 pi and some CS6 parts.
My CS6 don't work circuit board is broken, don't need info on CS6 until I
can find a good working circuit board.
My CS4 works can use a schematic for CS4.
Do you know what number on CS4 circuit board controls pulse delay
or timing. If you do will you post it here.
Frank.

it is a shame... probably yahoo.com is blocking mail from google or other way round. I sent you files again from
my mail kt315@hotbox.ru. let me know you got it.

can you send the board to me or to sell? I am kt315 alias in Geotech. in my plan to do the board of CS-6. so I could return the board fixed to you or send new one.