Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Question for the Vaquero?

TC-NM

I just picked up a nice Vaquero with a stock coil 9 x 8. What other coils do you guys/gals recommend? Does Tesoro manuf. a elliptical or DD coil? I like DD's for mineralized ground and better target separation. Like to get feedback for future purchase.

Thanks,

TC-NM

Put a 10x12 DD coil on a few months ago and I absolutely love this thing!
Very hard to miss much with this, but in very trashy areas it could drive you crazy because it will pick up all metal in a line about a foot long.
Next up for me will be a small DD for that kind of site.

I honestly don't see a whole lot of extra depth in my devil soil, but even E-Tracks with big coils don't get much further than 6-7 inches around here.
I can hit that for sure.

For big parks if you like to cruise, nothing like a big DD.

5.75 con. coil is great in trashy areas, also works well in the woods since there are no spokes to hang up on brush or roots. I don't see much if any depth loss compared with the 9x8

Thanks to all that replied, but I was trying to get an answer to the elliptical or DD coil. Is it true or not that the Lobo super trac's elliptical coil can be used on the Vaquero? Sorta of leaning in that direction.

My present detectors (Whites) use 950 concentric, 8" concentric, 6" concentric and 10" (DD) D2 coil. Here in NM, the DD works the best I think.

Thanks,

TC-NM

p.s. Rebel1, what coil are you talking about, 5.75 DD? Is that a Tesoro coil or an aftermarket? Can you be more specific? Thanks.

I doubt the Lobo coils will work on the Vaq as the Vaq. runs at 14khz and the Lobo at 17.8khz Here is the Widescan (DD) 5.75 coil i refered to.

Hi TC, I use the 10 X 5 Elliptical DD on my Tejon. Been to hot for me to get out as much as I would like, but have used it enough to like it a great deal. Since you use and like the DD's I am sure it would be a winner for you.Don't think it's as deep as the 9x8 but it is plenty deep enough! I also like the 9 X 8 stock and the 5.75 Con. a lot too. If you get the 10X5 be sure and decide whether you want the Long Cable or the Short.You will not need the LC on the Vaq, and will certainly be glad to be rid of the extra.weight. The LC is for HipMounting on the Lobos, and lots of them are on the market. If you go through a dealer be sure and have them special order it with the S C. There will be no extra charge, but the order will take maby a week longer for the cable cut. Hey, I found a FINE 1812 button with the 10X5 in some awful iron scaleynail/dirt that several of us had pounded already. 10x5 did just what I was hoping it would do. Lol, I know, maybe it was just luck, but that "button luck" didn't come until I hooked up the 10x5. HH, Charlie

I use the 5x10 elliptical DD exclusively on my Vaq. It is extremely stable even with sens at max and running hot. It goes deep enough for its intended purpose and hits hard on small objects and will hit on a dime at 6" in my test bed with sens @10 and threshold at normal (7 inches with grass clearance).
I also have the 10x12 DD but seldom use it. Most areas have too much trash for that coil and its unstable at hot settings. On the other hand, its good enough to find every coin in my test bed. The deepest quarter is 9"so that's 10" with grass clearance. It also does great for larger objects if you like relic hunting. Check Tesoro site to see which detector coils cross over.

In addition to the stock coil, I also have the two small coils (5.75" concentric and 5.75" widescan).
I like both coils, but the widescan coil is noticably heavier than the concentric coil.
Not a great deal of difference in weight and both coils perform great.
Haven't tried the large widescan they offer.. for me these coils are all I need.

If and when i get another Vaquero i will definitely have the 5.75" DD and the 3"x18" Clean sweep. I think those 2 would handle most everything.

Thanks to all that responded. Now I that I read your opinions/experiences, in the near future, I will purchase the 5.75 wide scan and the 5 x 10 elliptical to add to my stock coil.

TC-NM

TC, I was surprised after reading all the posted answers to your question that not one reply mentioned the 8" concentric (donut) coil as a potential coil choice. This is an extremely stable coil, and gives excellent target separation, which is why it was the standard coil that Tesoro used to put on many of their older machines as the primary coil. I have found this coil to be very good on the Tesoro sabre detectors, and also the Vaquero too. For heavy trash, this coil will work well and can provide some good depth capabilities - so that's why I have always touted this coil to others who ask.

Personally, I find that it is very lightweight and delivers excellent target separation (just like the 5.75" coil does) but can deliver at least 1-2 inches more in depth on coins, even though the little coil does give quite respectable depth, for its size. I'm not really familiar with the cleansweep series or elliptical coils particularly, but from what I have read, the ellpticals are more suited toward hunting in areas with heavy target density (e.g. trashy parks) - but are not really used for their depth capacity, per say. Many have said that Cleansweep coils tend to be perform better in areas with less targets, more for deep coin hunting in older well-worked parks, schools, yards, or possibly also for dry sand beach hunting. So, I guess you should evaluate what coil to pick based on the type of hunting you tend to do most often.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, please do a review on your use of the 8" Brown Donut Con. you said you were using on your Vac. I appoligize if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, and what I just checked first hand, the olderstyle Tesoros and Umax Tesoros have a 5 Pin Plug, and the T,V,& C have a 4 Pin Plug, Maybe I misunderstood your post, but something ain't right somewhere, or we all need to understand how to get some more use from our 8" Brown Donuts, because it too is a great coil to have .. HH Charlie