Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil question - I'm embarrassed to say I don't know this

TrpnBils

Coil sizes....with an elliptical style coil that use a number-by-number size (14x9, 4x6, etc), which number should you use to compare coils? For example, I have the Minelab 6" coil for my detector, but Coiltek also makes a 4x6" coil for it. I know what the numbers mean (4" wide by 6" long), but would a coil of that size perform more like a 6" coil or a 4" coil? To put it another way, if I were hunting a trashy site, would the 4x6" give a notable advantage over a standard 6" coil or would they be about the same?

I believe one is concentric and one is double d. One would be better for depth and the other would be better for separation. Someone chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

I think I understand what you're asking. An elliptical coil that measures 4" X 6" will usually separate side to side like a round 4" coil and usually achieve about the same depth as the 4" coil. The advantage is that the 4X6 coil will afford 6 inches of coverage and will allow the coil to be poked into spots that a 6" round coil can't get too. The 6" coil will usually achieve grater depth than the 4" X 6" coil. Elliptical coils usually get about the same depth as a round coil the same size as the smaller dimension of the elliptical coil.

Tom Slick said:
Elliptical coils usually get about the same depth as a round coil the same size as the smaller dimension of the elliptical coil.

That's kind of what I'm asking I guess.... more interested in target separation than depth though.

I don't really think you would see that much difference...in my opinion this would be like "splitting hairs" for the most part. A lot of target separation depends how close the trash items are lying to the good target plus the angle of coil approach. You may hear a good signal from one direction but may not hear the target from a different direction.That is why they say to search from multiple angles when searching trashy areas and usually smaller concentric coils discriminate better.