Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil question.

archer

I am a current X-70 owner. I have decided to make the leap and buy the E-trac. My wonderful wife has told me to buy a second coil as an early Xmas present. My question is what coil do I want???

I will be hunting primarily old parks and home sites. Coins primarily with some relic hunting. Tough soil and trash are common.

Any input appreciated.

n/t

despite being an 11" coil, it does a decent job in high trash thanks to the new software as well. If you want to go smaller, the 8" Minelab coil is a great combination as you still get good coverage with each sweep and better separation.

If you feel the need to go smaller due to real high trash concentrations, the 6" or 5" Excelerator coils will get you even more separation but it will have you move at a snail's pace.

You need to see how much trash is in the sites you plan to hunt and how often you will be in the trashy areas . . . .

I just used the 5" in a real challenging site this weekend and while I did pull some keepers out, I felt like I was emptying the lake with a teaspoon. You will need some patience with the real small coil. Not trying to sell a product but my hunting partner picked one up for $100 as an overstock sale from Kellyco . . . . JW could tell you if they are still available at that price.

Hope this helps

Andy

If I were to buy a coil it would be the X-8 . I have one it is a great coil. But I have not used it sense the pro coil came out .If you dont have an X-1 probe that would be a good choice also HH RonC

Saw your post and I have the worst trash site, I mean search... site you have ever seen. Its either dig all and discard, screen, or try this smaller coil. I have an 6" on my Xtera and have been reverting to it at this site. Slower but more rewarding.

That depends on a few things. I use a Swingy Thingy. The detector weight is suspended from my chest and I just guide the coil where I want it to go with my swinging arm so the additional weight is a non issue. I mounted the probe as far up the shaft, not the back of the arm rest area like most do as I can without getting in the way of the switch and wires that come with the X-1. When I kneel down on the ground, the probe is right next to me and the hole I am digging and I can reach back and change the push buttons on the ET. The X-1 was the first accessory that I got and that was from the advice of others on this forum. I also got the Sunray 8" coil. That was because I started with the SE with the stock coil and until I got those two things, I was getting really frustrated. There's is a relatively new probe on the scene, the pistol probe, and even though you don't have it operating through the machine electronics like the X-1, it is getting great reviews. You don't have to purchase an extra upper shaft either. If it was me, now I think I'd get the pistol probe as it works good and I could use it with any other detectors I have or might borrow. The X-1 stays with the shaft and if you change machine manufacturers, you have to get an X-1 specific to that manufacturer's machine. Neat to see you wife supporting your hobby. She will benefit down the road when she sees your first ring and puts it on her finger never to come off. Regards...Jim

. . . . and for some, adding the 11 ounces seems to get heavier as the day goes on.

Not trying to start a cat fight but with the two pinpoint probes from Garrett and DetectorPro, you can get better depth than the X-1 without the added weight - the new technology has taken handheld pinpointers to a new level of performance.

They do not provide target ID capabilities but the need for that will be up to you.

DetectorPro Pistol Probe - $189 list
Garrett Pro Pinpointer - $150 list
Sun Ray X-1 Probe - $180 list

Andy

The Pro Pointer hands down gets my vote. Its the most rugged well built and thought out device or pinponting iv'e wraped my hands around. The Pistol Probe is a neat idea too as far as a handheld detector go's. I just don't need all the depth and adjustment when pinpointing. Nor do i need to look like im packing here in the big NYC parks. :devil:

Good advice from Andy and EZrider. Pistol goes much deeper than Garretts and if you don't want to go that deep just turn down the sensitivity. Could look like a handgun. Some brightly colored electricians tape put on at crazy angles could help with that. I'd not put my pistol pro in its holster. I'd attach it to the machine for easier access. Guess your detector could look like a automatic weapon when in low light. One guy put a rifle bi pod on the pack of his detector to hold it off the ground farther when digging and it made it more stable. He mentioned that he'd gotten some unwanted attention from the potential of it being viewed as a weapon. Hope you got a good digging tool like the Lesche/Predator.
How could I get in a cat fight about anything to do with this hobby with Andy? Ain't gonna find anyone who's been there and done that more than he. Jim.

Grew up in NYC so had a chance to hunt a lot of the big parks before they got strict about it . . . never know what you might come across

In the late 70's a few of us were hunting Central Park and my father had to "dump some coffee" so he headed into the woods. A few minutes later he walked up and said "You guys have to see this". Well, in the woods there was a small clearing with a chicken hanging upside down and a bowl of blood under it . . . along with burned candles and voodoo symbols on the ground around it . . . . . must have been an interesting evening in the park that night!

Another time a fellow hunter asked a few of us if we wanted to hunt Prospect Park and we all had other commitments. There were some great spots there but some you did not want to hunt alone . . . as he did. Well, when he saw us later that evening and told his story, it was all we could do to not laugh at his luck. He got there and unpacked his detector from his hard case (mistake number 1). He put the case against a tree and started hunting. He said 10 minutes later he glanced over and the case was gone. Then three guys came up and asked him how much the detector had cost and being a tad naive, told them. The next thing he remembered was waking up after being hit in the head without his wallet or his detector. Not funny really but hearing him tell it was hilarious . . . .

The pitfalls of big city hunting

Andy

at $129.95 and have plenty of either in stock.
JW

:beers:Andy I hear ya. I have seen some strange things in the parks. I have to honest though. The mayor we have now has put alot of money into the parks this year. I have never seen so many parks personel a well as police on foot and bikes. They are doing whats called "The greenway project". I have to say it's impressive and glad to see it happen. They did take Prospect and owls head off the list of places to hunt. The park i hunt here is as old as Central and three times the size. :)