Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

coil question

thsfineday

can a coil be taken apart and put back together. i have a old elliptical coil that looks like it is formed with 2 pieces with a seal between the 2. the seal has cracked in 2 place and i didn't see it until water got into it this morning. now it is acting up. i have tried to dry it with a blow drier but still acting up. just wondering if i should open it all the way and try to dry it that way.

John and Kenny have both done it, I think. I wouldn't risk it. Email Garrett. They'll probably take really good care of you. That's assunming it's a Garrett coil.

Chris

YIKES! Opening up a coil can cause damage to the coil windings and short it out or put it out of tune. Another method of drying it out is to cover it with some uncooked rice. That will absorb the moisture too, as an alternative to the blow dryer method. But, if its a spare, and is no loss to you, then experiment. Garrett doesn't repair coils as a rule, they just replace them. Good luck either way.

called Garrett today and yes you are correct, they do not repair coils.bad thing is , they can't replace it either. they were more than willing to sell me another coil though. $114.00 , yikes. I am trying to save up for the ace250. guess i will have to post on the for sale site for a used coil. maybe someone has an extra one laying around.

It must be the 5 x 10 DD coil. I don't have one of those, but I do have an extra Crossfire 8" coil that came stock with the 1000's. Yours for free if you'll send me the amount of postage back when you get it.