Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil repair ..

MNCoinhunter

Does anyone out there know a reputable repairman who can do a professional job of fixing a bad coil cable ? The coil is a Detech EQ2 Pro 6" Double D for the Minelab Explorer.. and I would rather not send it all the way back to Bulgaria. My attempt at fixing it was an epic fail ... and my advice is to also please be very careful about who you deal with at this site. I got screwed at the drive-in on this deal. And if you would like to know who I got this "lemon" from feel free to send me a PM.

If i was screwed over like that . I wouldn't have people PMing me, i would be putting it in the feed back forum so everyone could see. I wouldn't wait for someone else to get screwed from them not knowing. Just IMAO HH GS

I think not all people even know if they have good working coil or bad, coils like all thing sometimes brakes. have similar experience with coil from bebay.

stasys ... the cable had electrical tape wrapped around it about 5 inches above the coil. It was not a hidden defect, it was as plain as day.

Go ahead and post his name. I would without giving it a second thought.

McDave said:
stasys ... the cable had electrical tape wrapped around it about 5 inches above the coil. It was not a hidden defect, it was as plain as day.
Looks not nice... this cable placxe is very hard to repair properly for few reasons-shaft construction and coil bolt. if you cant make your self, it can cost to much.

McDave, As long as you have 5 inches of cable above the coil, it can be repaired but I would not trust a repair to be waterproof to the point of submerging it.

Thanks for the suggestion .. much appreciated. I am not too concerned about that as I use another detector for water hunting. My Explorer is strictly a dry land hunter ..

Ism said:
McDave, As long as you have 5 inches of cable above the coil, it can be repaired but I would not trust a repair to be waterproof to the point of submerging it.

A wholehearted THANKS to Findmall member "surfman" for taking the time to repair my coil cable. There are some good people left in the world .. :clap:

He even made a how-to video while fixing it ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN-AJoDrA5o .. very informative and encouraging for us not-so-electronically inclined folks. Thanks again for your help Joe ! :clapping:

Hi,
No criticism meant, but I learned soldering cables a different way.
The first and most important part in a spliced and soldered connection is to make a good solid mechanical connection between the two strands first.
This is done by intertwining the copper strands before soldering.
If cables are already tinned then make two loops, connect them like a chain, flatten the "links" out and then solder.
But it is better to intertwine the strands, then coat them with resin and then solder.
The solder just acts as an anti-corrosive coating and prevents the mechanical connection to come apart again and is not used to simply "glue" the joint together.
The actual strength of the connection is a result of the mechanical connection of the two cable ends - not of the solder.
Just my 2 bits worth
hh
skookum

:clapping::clapping::clapping: Good people do still exist

I have worked as a solderer for the last 30 or so years. A mechanical connection isnt needed if you solder correctly and have clean and corrosion free wires to start with.