Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

coil shapes

homebre

Should there be much difference in depth, performance, and/or separation between a 9.5x12.5 DD and a 13" circular DD?
Homebre

Wouldn't think so, but I am in no way an electrical engineer.
I do assume a coil shaped like this would be better for hunting jewelry than anything else on the market.

Its a tough call because you really would have to try those different coils from the same manufacturer. Ive never done that.
But that being said, from the minelab and coiltek coils Ive used, the full round coils go deeper than the more elliptical shapes, given the same overall length. Example being a joey coil compared to a stock minelab explorer coil.

It seems like a full round coil would have more depth than an elliptical coil. The elliptical will have better separation.

Rick

many factors come in to play to answer that question with a definitive yes/no ,

but in most cases the 13" will be deeper but not always sometimes smaller coils can be deeper as they see less ground and so can punch deeper so there is no right or wrong answer to this question.

what there is as per this detecting game is personal experience with any detecting gear.

my mate and I hunt the same spot he uses a smaller coil say 10 x 5 I use a bigger coil say 11" round one hunt I bust him up , next hunt he gets me is there a reason why? sure and the answer is reams long if anyone even really knows the answer.

reality is get as many tools as you can afford use them if you like them keep them if you do not like them sell them on and try something else the only person who can truly answer your question is you and that's how it should be.

getting detectorists to agree on most things is akin to juggling cats :drool:

so my only suggestion is to have a go see what happens maybe you will be surprised at the results or maybe you will not like them much at all or somewhere in the middle my point is you wont find out asking because they don't know only you do :biggrin:

AJ

While the circular coil may give you more depth, the deepest part would be at the point of the projected detecting field (tip of the cone). The DD coil will be more like a rounded rudder like field with a more constant detecting area. The shape of your coil should be determined by your hunting area target. IMO