Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Size comparison?

gregD

Has anyone done a comparison of the 11x13", 11", and 9" coils ...in terms of real life differences in separation and depth?

I have an 11 but curious what I'd gain/lose if i went to a different coil.

I'm very anxiously waiting for the new coil to see how it does too....but...still waiting *taps foot impatiently* ;)

anyone have any youtube videos or write ups comparing the other options?

I have all 3 of them, and I have used all three. I have not yet directly compared them.

What I can tell you is that I got the 13x11 for competition hunting. It has a 50% bigger footprint than the 9" coil I got with my Deus. I thought that might give me an edge as it's all about speed. However I ended up using the 11" coil simply because it's a bit lighter and better balanced but still gave me a decent footprint. Let's be honest most competition hunts are over in 15 minutes no matter how long they run so you only have to go all out for a little bit, then you can slow down or leave the field.

The bigger coils are going to go a bit deeper while the 9" is going to separate better is I think the bottom line. I really need to compare the two larger coils to see if the 13" goes any deeper. The 11" is for sure lighter - but having swung Minelabs in the past the weight doesn't bother me it's the balance. You will notice swinging it a difference there. Someone came up with a piece that is supposed to offset the coil in relation to where the rod attaches and fix the issue but I don't have that. If that were added I'd say for a healthy adult you won't really be bothered by the bit of extra weight if you've ever swung an Explorer.

Once I have a chance to do some head to head testing I'll post more!

I had all three but sold the 13, I havent done any depth comparison but will tell you the 9 seperates better in iron and will tag a 10 inch quarter in the test garden. I like the 11 in the fields my thing with the 13 is there wasnt enough difference between it and the 11 to make a BIG difference to me except weight. I would rather swing the lighter 11 and give up the 2 inchs on the front of the coil.

I had the 11x13 and sold it.
I didn't see any advantage over the 11 except coverage. depth and separation was close to the same.
Weight was more and for my type of hunting, a day of swinging an out of balance coil was a pain.