Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Suggestions for Relic and Coin Hunting In Trashy Areas

sstephenson

Just got my MXT a few days ago, and I'm really looking forward to some coin and relic hunting around old abandoned homesites, mining areas, parks, etc. There are usually lots of shrubs and undergrowth in many of these sites. The MXT came with the standard 950 coil. I'm thinking about picking up an Eclipse 4x6 coil because stated effectiveness in very trashy areas and extreme ground conditions. Is the added benefit worth the expense, or is this just sales hype? Is the 4x6 my best choice for this application? Thanks in advance for your replies!

hi, Ive had mine a little over 2 weeks, and have been hunting some trashy parks, i have a 950 and a 4x6, it really does make a difference to use the 4x6, so you can single out targets close to each other easier. I'm now trying to clear out the areas with the 4x6 then later may try the 950 to see if there are any deeper targets. Ive heard others on this site say a lot of good things about the 5.3 also, but have no experience with it myself. hope i could be of help . Jack

I like the 4x6 for really trashy stuff. Recently they tore down the bleachers at a local rodeo and the ground was littered with tabs and junk. The only way I could get through it was with the 4x6 but I still may get a 5.3 because I think its a better all around coil for coins in most situations. Got my eye on the 6x8 SEF coil too.

[size=large]the two coils that have stood out in my surfing the forums has been the 5.3 and the 10" DD. the folks using them are also hunting the same areas you mentioned. if you're looking to get the 8'x6' dd then skip the 4 x 6. jmo

HH[/size]

As stated, the 4X6 is a real winner in heavy trash although at the expense of ground coverage and depth which may make it a better choice for coins over relics. I've had very good luck with the 6X10 for decent depth and ground coverage with quite acceptable trash handling as well. It's become my most used coil. For relic hunting in relatively clean areas not littered with pull tabs etc. you'll probably get the best results with the larger coils 950, 10"D2, 12" etc. My two bits.
BB

Thanks all for your thoughts on this. Very much appreciated. Doing some further reading after reading your comments really has me considering the 6x10 DD. Seems like a very popular choice.

The 6x10 is more of a general coil (and I'm planning to buy one soon), but for the trashy areas you probably really want to consider adding the 4x6 or 5.3 because they are smaller and do a better job of separating trash from the good stuff. A bigger coil like the 6x10, 9.5 or 12" won't give the the target separation like the smaller coils. I have the 5.3 and love it.

JMHO, I love the 5.3 coil. I had the 4x6 and didn't like the way it pinpointed and so I sold it. The 5.3 is right on. HH, Nancy

I have both the 4x6 & the 6x10 also 10"dd I use the 6x10 most of the time I find that in my area it gets about the same depth as the 10" & works good in moderate trash. The 4x6 always goes on when I am in a heavy trash area, imagine an old garbage dump tons of metal. I tried the 6x10 & got nothing but junk & iron signals, put on the 4x6 & pulled out 10 wheat's & a 1907 dime. I have not tried the 5.3 but if Nancy Say's it's good I would trust her. But I am a little confused Nancy, my 4x6 is dead on when pin pointing.

When I had it and pinpointed, I would have to use the front of the coil. I didn't like it one bit. Larry was trying to teach me how to use it. Maybe that's what my problem was. :rofl: Just kidding Larry .....Just kidding.

The 5.3 is the one to get.
John