Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil warranty

I am curious as to why you would go ahead and send the coil in knowing it was out of warranty and that they wouldn't repair it, could have saved yourself a few bucks and attempted to repair the cable yourself,

I am curious as to why you would go ahead and send the coil in knowing it was out of warranty and that they wouldn't repair it, could have saved yourself a few bucks and attempted to repair the cable yourself,
In fact, why not take this up with the seller you bought it from on Ebay? You knew the coil was out of warranty so why get so up tight with the mfg? Just wondering? HH jim tn

This coil looked perfect. I just wanted for them to see it. I didn't know the coil was out of warranty until the final email. Notice support said that they assumed it was out of warranty. Most places I have worked and places I have dealt with will replace something that looks brand new but does not work. If it was beat up and showing signs of abuse that's different.

The cable is the exact length it has to be. It does not wrap around the shaft. It connects to the control box inside the shaft. If a person could get it just the right length after cutting the outside lining, stripping the tiny wires and soldering them together, how can he waterproof it and make it slide through the hole in the shaft without quickly causing the wires to break again?

You knew the coil was out of warranty
I bought it less than two years ago. The seller said it was only used once for testing. I assumed (wrongly) that he wouldn't have kept it for 3 years after he tested it once. Neither Nokta Support or I knew the coil was out of warranty until Nokta looked up the serial number. I bought it and only remember using it one or two times as I liked the small football coil and the 7 inch concentric better for all around use and the 11 inch for open areas. I also have a Cors Shrew for bad iron areas. I've had problems with other detectors that were out of warranty and that looked much more used than this coil that were fixed by the manufacturer for free even when I was expecting to have to pay for it. This coil was not abused

Well, you learned a lesson that we all can learn from. "Beauty is only skin deep" and never assume there is warranty left, if transferrable, even. HH jim tn

"Beauty is only skin deep"
You lost me on that one.

never assume there is warranty left
I have never bought a metal detector because of the warranty. I have plenty of Tesoros and knew when I bought them second hand that they were not covered. I also knew that very few people had problems with them because they are reliable. I did have to replace a cracked coil on a Stingray that could be 25 or 30 years old and paid for it. Other than that I have had problems with 2 coils, the one in this thread and one for the Makro Racer 2. I have 12 detectors from various companies (Teknetics, Fisher, Tesoro, Garrett, Nokta, Makro, XP, and Compass) and multiple coils for all including aftermarket ones, except the Compass Judge 2 and never had a coil failure other than these three, one old and two from the "latest and greatest". I have seen on the various forums that quite a few Makro/Nokta coils have been returned. Rather than replacing a faulty coil, they just say, "Sorry, it is no longer under warranty. Can we sell you a new one?" They do not want to examine it to find out why it failed but then maybe they already know why. I have had other detector companies go out of their way to help me even when the product was out of warranty. And not just metal detector companies! Look at recalls for automobiles, firearms, appliances, etc. If something is faulty they usually have to fix it or make amends. Nokta/Makro won't.

So I already knew beauty was only skin deep and already knew about assuming and warranties. I learned that years ago about all that. What I did learn here was to watch out for the hype about how great a certain company is in responding to your problems. Also I learned that they are not near as good as others in responding, according to my experience.

I have never bought a metal detector because of the warranty. I have plenty of Tesoros and knew when I bought them second hand that they were not covered. I also knew that very few people had problems with them because they are reliable. I did have to replace a cracked coil on a Stingray that could be 25 or 30 years old and paid for it. Other than that I have had problems with 2 coils, the one in this thread and one for the Makro Racer 2. I have 12 detectors from various companies (Teknetics, Fisher, Tesoro, Garrett, Nokta, Makro, XP, and Compass) and multiple coils for all including aftermarket ones, except the Compass Judge 2 and never had a coil failure other than these three, one old and two from the "latest and greatest". I have seen on the various forums that quite a few Makro/Nokta coils have been returned. Rather than replacing a faulty coil, they just say, "Sorry, it is no longer under warranty. Can we sell you a new one?" They do not want to examine it to find out why it failed but then maybe they already know why. I have had other detector companies go out of their way to help me even when the product was out of warranty. And not just metal detector companies! Look at recalls for automobiles, firearms, appliances, etc. If something is faulty they usually have to fix it or make amends. Nokta/Makro won't.

So I already knew beauty was only skin deep and already knew about assuming and warranties. I learned that years ago about all that. What I did learn here was to watch out for the hype about how great a certain company is in responding to your problems. Also I learned that they are not near as good as others in responding, according to my experien
O.K. HH jim tn

It's very clear to me the dealer and Nokta are in the right on this occasion. How anyone could think otherwise is rather odd. You can't buy a car, store in the garage for 10 years then if It breaks down cry foul that its rarely been used it should be repaired under warranty, that's not how warranty works. Some brands don't even let you transfer warranty, if you buy second hand with some products even if its a few months old you've got no warranty no matter how much you cry about it. Put simply you've got no leg to stand on and complaining about their service seems odd as they've gone above and beyond to help with this matter.

It sounds like the guy that sold it didn't even buy it, it was a sample coil, a test product likely provided at no charge to somebody to try and evaluate.