Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Weight Comparison

Tarot

Hi Everyone

I have just purchased a used Quattro for use on the beach, and it has come fitted with the stock 1050 coil. I am looking at getting another coil, and perhaps reduce the weight and improve balance of the detector. I will try to buy a used coil, so the choice will also be affected by availability.

I have searched on here and many other forums and dealers, and the weights of the after market coils are hard to find.

Some of the coils that I have been looking at are :

Minelab 10" Slimline

Minelab 11" Pro Coil

SEF 10 x 12

Detech 12.5"

Detech Slimline 10 x 14

Can anyone provide me with the weights of the above coils. I would also be interested to hear a review of the 10 X 14 coil, because there is little info to be found on the Minelab version of this coil.

Hopefully I can stop asking questions soon, and start posting finds.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

Hi Bob. I did have the 10.5 coil on my XS and the same coil type on my X-Terra. If memory serves me correctly, that coils weighed either 600 or 650 grams. (There are 31 grams in an ounce. Sorry, I'm not accustomed to imperial weights.) When the Se Explore first came out, the slime-line coil was touted as being 60 grams (2 ounces lighter) and when the Pro coil came out, it was advertised to be yet another 60 grams (2 ounces lighter) than the slime-line coil. As my old XS has since died and I've just sold my X-Terra 10.5 in DD coil, I can't check the weights.
Mick Evans.

Sabisch, thank you for your kind offer and taking the time to help with my query. Then we could compile a table of the coil weights, which would be a great reference for other FBS users. We could then add to the table as future coils are added.

Mick, thank you for the comparisons in some of the coil weights.

If anyone with any of these or other FBS coils could contribute, I will add them to the table.

It would be helpful to know if the weights include or exclude the coil cover, which some detectorists prefer to use.

Kind Regards Tarot

Also consider the smaller coils, such as the 8"x6" and 4.5"x7"DD. They should be of lesser weight
and do well finding smaller targets in trash areas with good depth for their size.
Regis

reltolbert said:
Also consider the smaller coils, such as the 8"x6" and 4.5"x7"DD. They should be of lesser weight
and do well finding smaller targets in trash areas with good depth for their size.
Regis

Thanks for the reply, but I shall only be using the Quattro on the beach. I expect some of the smaller coils are much lighter, but would not give the ground coverage needed on the beach. It would still be useful to get the weights for some of the smaller coils, to add to a comparison table.

Regards Tarot Bob

I hate to say how many FBS coils I have in the closet . . . . . almost hate to go in and pull them out to weigh them as it will probably make me cry (or at least my wallet wince :surprised:)

I will see how many different coils I can pull out and weigh - will try to get them today or tomorrow

Andy Sabisch

Some of the weights was published months ago in this forum:
Minelab standard slimline coil -- 1.32 lbs
10x12 --------------------------------- 1.43 lbs
12x15 --------------------------------- 1.85 lbs
15x18 --------------------------------- 2.28 lbs

Thanks Andy and GSim for your help.

I had better list the weight of the one coil that I own.

Minelab 10.5" 1050 Coil ... 1.43 lb .... or .... 653gms .... (Includes Coil Cover)

Regards Tarot (Bob)

I have the detech 12.5 for the sovereign :(dont think there is any difference that would affect weight) but its approx 650g..

Thanks element for the weight of the Detech 12.5 coil.

I have quite a few of the different coil weights, but still need the following to complete the table.

Minelab 11" Pro
Minelab 8"

Sunray 5" X5

Detech SEF 8" X 6"
Detech SEF 21" X 17"
Detech 7" X 4.5"
Detech 6"
Detech 8"
Detech 14"
Detech 10" X 14"

Regards Tarot (Bob)