Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil weight

Billium

Recently got the 10.5" DD coil. Love it but it makes the 705 a bit nose heavy after swinging the 9". I was wondering if there is a way to balance the machine with out adding a lot of weight.

IMG_0326_zps00bf5561.jpg

IMG_0327_zpsbaf6d3b2.jpg

IMG_0329_zps73251664.jpg

Been messing about with the same problem.
Various coils, various weights, so I needed a system that could adjust the weight leverage to the coil.
And keep the balance at the fingertips.

Strap a wet 2x4 to it and run that for a hour. Take it off and it will feel like there is no coil. Your arm needs the workout and after a few times it will be ready. Counter balances seem OK but you are still putting the weight on your arm and even more if you add a counterbalance. Then there are the holders that strap to you and your machine and make it pretty much weightless. Minelab makes the top Notch one and people are saying it works great. All the others look like I could make them myself(aka swingy thang). Also lightening the lower rods would help. I drilled holes up and down the shaft at 12, 3, 6, 9o clock positions. This also helps so no water stays in the shaft if you tilt it up and swing easier in the water. It's only a little but every gram helps.

There is one other option using the weight you have and counterbalance it. This is the route I am going. I want to move the the box and batteries behind or under my arm, extending them further back to even out the weight like a teeter totter.

just go buy a swingy thingy or one like it from Kellyco then u don't have to have all that other stuff at the end of your rod. that keeps it simple.

I thought about the counter balance but would still be adding more weight. I think maybe I just need to stop being a panzy and and toughen up. I am just so used to how light the 705 has been that now that there is some weight I am being a sissy. The wife said working out would help but I hate working out.
I'll post up if I come up with any "good ideas".

I had the same problem when I first got my 705 with the 10.5 DD. A friend MoRelic55 suggested that I get a straight middle rod from another brand detector and replace the S middle rod. I found one for 20.00 bucks had to drill one set of holes along the bottom of the shaft to make it work. Super simple and now the 705 is more balanced than before.

Worked great for me

Actually what the counterbalance does is broaden your sweep.

Otherwise the X-terra feels like it wants to rotate in your wrist.
With the counterbalance and the strap it feels like it wants to rotate around your elbow, hence a broader sweep.

it might look different but you don't have to add any extra weight. that's the way I used to use mine. I sold it as I preferred the 5x10 more. much lighter.
Mick Evans.

Mick in Dubbo said:
it might look different but you don't have to add any extra weight. that's the way I used to use mine. I sold it as I preferred the 5x10 more. much lighter.
Mick Evans.
?didn't think of that. I will try it. Thanks Mick

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,866236,868368#msg-868368

The solution was right in front of my toes :rofl:

Here is a harness I made for my XT 505 from some stuff I had laying around the house. The non-swinging arm goes thru the loop and then strap goes over the back of neck to attach to the detector in the opposite (detecting) hand with a small 'bungee' type cord. I know the pic isn't great but maybe you can get the idea at least.

Might try this also I am not sure I like the coil turned around backwards.

Billium said:
Might try this also I am not sure I like the coil turned around backwards.

Got out on a couple hunts and swung the coil mounted backwards, it works great. Didn't have any issues. I am quite surprised and how well it works. Thanks for the suggestion.
I did get a couple "why is your coil backwards?" :laugh:

Bill, Some also like to reverse the 'S' rod to get a similar weight distribution as mounting the coil backwards, it doesn't look quite as strange either. You just gotta watch out for those toes, if you have steel toed boots!

I just tried reversing my 10.5 DD yesterday and I like it. Thanks for the tip!