Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coils for the Terra 30

Woodstock

Ok this might be a dumb question but I was told by a very wise man that the dumbest question is the one you don't ask so here goes ....

The V-Flex line uses three coil frequencies that are 3 kHz ~ 7.5 kHz ~ and 18.75 kHz . Will all these work on the Terra 30 ? And what do the uses like the best for depth , target separation , and all out stability ? I know the seasoned and respected members at Find's can give me a idea . I like the stock coil a lot and would someday add another coil when I can afford and justify it . Thanks Ya'All , Woodstock

The 7.5 kHz coils are the only ones that will work with your X-TERRA 30. Check out the FAQFAQ section at the top of these posts, for answers to your questions regarding coil application. And if you've not had the opportunity to read my eBook "Understanding the X-TERRA", I'd encourage you to take a look at it. I spend quite a bit of time discussing the different coil applications, and the "pros and cons" of each. You can read or download a copy for FREE from Minelab's website. HH Randy

So then I'll only use 7.5 kHz coils , thanks for the clarification . Now I have one more question that maybe you can answer . What is the difference (if any) from the 10.5 DD 7.5 kHz over the stock 9 " concentric 7.5 kHz except the larger footprint ? Is there a big difference in depth other than maybe a inch ? I prefer the concentric type coils over the DD and the larger footprint for me isn't completely needed because I generally have a tighter sweep pattern than most users . I found this out the hard way before and had extra DD coils on other machines that I never really liked using . Should I rethink my choice preference in coil selections or am I just an old dog that can't learn new tricks and stick to what I know and use the best . Today it seems like everyone leans towards the DD's and I'm not comfortable with them after quite a few DD's on other machines and I want the best results for the time I'm out detecting . Any advice ?
I'll be reading your eBook tomorrow ! Happy Trails , Woodstock

Woodstock said:
What is the difference (if any) from the 10.5 DD 7.5 kHz over the stock 9 " concentric 7.5 kHz except the larger footprint ? Is there a big difference in depth other than maybe a inch ? I prefer the concentric type coils over the DD and the larger footprint for me isn't completely needed because I generally have a tighter sweep pattern than most users .

If you are hunting areas with high levels of mineralization, then the performance of your detector will be enhanced when using DD coils. If your soil matrix (mineralization level) tolerates the use of a concentric coil, then I'd stick with the concentrics. In my moderate soil conditions, I do not benefit from the design characteristics of DD coils. Granted, they may cover a bit more ground (heel to toe) with each swath...... but I've found the concentric coils will actually hunt deeper (in my soil) than a comparably sized DD coil. And if I make sure I am overlapping my swaths by half the diameter of the coil, the concentrics will find anything that a comparible sized DD coil is capable of detecting. JMHO HH Randy

Thanks Randy for that useful information . Can I ask one more little thing ? When you said " depending on the soil mineral content where you live " Well I live in upper Wisconsin and detect all over the state and some parts of northern Illinois and all I know is the soil is either rich and black or sandy . Almost all my prior detectors with factory set GB worked as well as using manual GB so do you know or could anyone weigh in on what type of soil is here or how I can check to see if it's lightly - medium or heavy materialization ? Again thanks for you insight and understandable answers ! Happy Trails , Woodstock

There is a way to determine mineralization levels when using the 70 and 705. But not the other models. Best advice I could give would be to keep using the one you have, and if it is working well, don't worry about it. If you really want to find the levels, you could also go to the local County extension offices and talk to them. They should have maps of the county, reflecting various soil content etc. HH Randy