Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

COILS

My MXT is great. I use the 5 inch Excelerator coil most of the time. Before that the 6x10 Eclipse. I have the stock 9 inch Eclipse which I've never used. I feel I'm missing out by not having the 5.3 Eclipse. I would like to keep the expense down but would probably miss one of those coils if I sold it to buy the 5.3 so I need some advice. Thanks. James

I have never used a 5" excelerator but can tell you I love my 5,3 eclipse as most people do. You may be better served getting the 4x6 if your looking for something to really pick through the trash although I do just fine with the 5.3. Maybe the D2 if your looking in that direction,but it sounds like you have your bases pretty well covered.

The 5.3 is a very useful coil, but I doubt that there's enough difference between it and the 5" you have to justify both. JMHO
BB

The 5.3 and a 10"DD is about all I use, but I agree with BarberBill. There is probably not enough difference in the 5 and the 5.3 to justify having both.
John

I have the 5" and the 5.3. The 5" will pick through trash around picnic tables allot better than the 5.3. The 5.3 is a 6" coil really, i use it most of the time on the MXT. I have the 5", 5.3, 8", 9,5", D2 10", and still use the 5.3 most of the time. The little 5" has good depth for it size, you can get a dime at 5" with good VDI. Try it for those trashy spot that just can,t be got, i put the 5" on the ground and just move a inch at a time. If you get a dime hit with other vdi just move it slow in pinpoint mod. it will get it.

While the 5.3 is pretty good in trash, I suspect what Flintstone says about the 5" is right. I know in heavier trash I really like the 4X6 shooter which I'm thinking probably responds quite similarly to the 5" and lets me get closer to metal tables, playground equipment etc. than anything else in my arsenal other than my electronic pinpointer.
BB

Hey Bill I don't have the 4x6 yet. So far I have found my 6x10 to be the best at getting close to large steel interference, better than my 5.3. Have you compared the 4x6 to the 6x10 in this type of situation yet, and if you have, approx how much closer can you get with the smaller coil. I've made some great finds in tight on poles and supports and would love to be able to go back and be able to crowd in a little tighter to find whatever other goodies are hiding in the shadows. Thanks.
HH
Scott

I'll try both the next chance I get as I haven't really compared the two on the same hunt. However, I'm thinking that the 4x6 will come out ahead as far as getting close to the metal tables etc.
BB

Thanks Bill. I figured the same thing but have never used the 4x6 yet and I was planning on possibly getting one soon.If it can get me in even a few more inches closer, there's a LOT of play structures I can go back to and check. When I switched from the 950 to the 6x10 for the for the first time, I found my first gold ring in close where I couldn't go with the stock coil previously so I know the potential for good finds to be hiding is there.
HH
Scott

You will enjoy the 4x6. Using it will change the way you hunt chain link fence lines especially. (They are largely undetected.) I find it ironic that the three least expensive coils are the most important to have!

Thank you nw1886. Just what I was waiting to hear. You're exactly right. I've found the margins right at interfering structures can be a largely unhunted zone. Couple months back I hunted an entire latge playlot in the middle of the biggest city around here. I made a lot of good finds including 2 pieces of silver jewelry and every one was either right next to or under the structures. Absolutely NOTHING out in the open. I will be keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a 4x6.
HH
Scott

I've heard some good reports on the S.E.F. coils James. The 6x8 and the 10x12 sound like they work great in the right places but the 12x15 is said to be pretty heavy. I haven't used these personally just repeating what I've heard the experts, like Larry, say. One larger coil I do use, and really like so far, is the 10"DD. Try one of those out if you can, you may like it. MHO
HH
Scott