Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coils

Smudge

I have heard it said more than once that if you are using a Tesoro with a fixed ground balance, and you want to switch the stock coil to another size, you need to send the entire unit in to Tesoro for resetting because the new coil will not function optimally with the detector's original setting.

The question is, would that rule also hold true for Tesoro's with a manual ground balance feature?

The answer is maybe. I use a Cortez that has Ground Balance that only works in ALL METAL MODE. If you use your new coil in discriminate mode you would still have to send it in. The Ground Balance affects the TID which is why the discriminate mode has a fixed GB. On a beep and dig no you would not unless you have a Golden Saber like I do that has a Notch feature. I have a 5.75 concentric I would like to trade for a Doughnut if someone has one.

Hi,
after coil change, it is no prob, pumping, balancing how you want, to neutral,positive,negative, or wrong :) .... volume right, and go on.

Regards

litrfree

I have never had to do that.

For crying out loud, don't send your machine to Tesoro just for that!!! If you're not getting false signals, you're probably getting maximum depth, but the thing is that you can adjust the GB anyway, with the internal pot.

Actually, Tesoro does recommend you send it your machine just for that.

Your statement that if I'm not getting false signals I'm probably getting maximum depth makes no sense to me. I do not see how you can possibly equate one with the other.

Also, popping open the control box and playing with the internal pot is one way you can void your warranty.

I appreciate the suggestions, but my real question was regarding the manual ground balance.

And it appears that if I have manual ground balance, I can use any coil I want without having to reset anything, while noting some units only have manual ground balance in all metal mode.

I wouldnt send back unless you had a noticeable problem, and the cost for Tesoro to do this would be extremely high, just think the outlaw has three coils that comes with it, I would hate to bite the bullet on that, because they don't charge shipping it back,

I hear you Hank and it does seem to be a contradiction.

But when I called Tesoro, they told me directly that I should sent the unit and the new coil in to be reset. They don't require it, but they suggested it would be a good idea to do so as to keep the detector running at its best.

That's great to hear that Tesoro what's the best for the customer to go the extra mile, if you can wait and not have a problem for travel time there and back, go for it, HH hank

I've never had a problem with changing coils. I've always gotten decent depth and performance in the expected range. However I generally hunt in fairly mild soil and I've never tested to see if I was getting OPTIMAL performance. Unless you have a problem with depth or chatter or are going to use a particular coil nearly all the time, I'd say don't send. On manual ground machines it's not a problem as the ground balance operation takes care of it.
BB

Hi Bill, well said , and it should be noted also, that the coil swap system enjoyed by us Tesoro folks, is a feature/advantage not possible with many/most of the other detectors manufactured. I don;t have the tech. term explanation for it, but pretty much from Tesoro's beginning the coil /machine compatability was possible, because Tesoro's particular build process planned it that way. That is big time advantage,but not so widely realized. .Bill, you did say it well and having several coils that we can use on one or two, or however many different (compatable) Tesoro machines one may have, adds a huge amount of enjoyment to our time spent with them. Makes us especially appreciate it too when we compare $$ wise to what that would cost us with many other detector mfg.co. HH Charlie

BarberBill said:
I've never had a problem with changing coils. I've always gotten decent depth and performance in the expected range. However I generally hunt in fairly mild soil and I've never tested to see if I was getting OPTIMAL performance. Unless you have a problem with depth or chatter or are going to use a particular coil nearly all the time, I'd say don't send. On manual ground machines it's not a problem as the ground balance operation takes care of it.
BB

This question has been brought up from time to time on the forum, BB and Les in the UK correctly answered the original question by Smudge.