Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coils?

Scottowl

What is the smalllest coil available for this machine?
Are there aftermarket ones that do a good job out there?

Smallest coil for the Makro Racer---the RC13-DD (5"X4.5").---There are no after market coils for the Racer that I am aware of.
Scottowl said:
What is the smalllest coil available for this machine?
Are there aftermarket ones that do a good job out there?

The coil that D&P mentioned is most often referred to the 5" OOR (Out Of Round).

The little 5" OOR (Out Of Round) is my go to coil. Very stealthy in trash/iron, and it's amazingly deep. I've pulled old coins at 7-8" deep that my F75 LTD2 didn't even see (even with the 11" DD coil).

I don't think of it as being noisy at all. It doesn't make a sound unless it's over a target. I used to hunt with a woman that named her Fisher "Lotta Chatter". I sometimes pull the trigger (to switch to all metal) while swinging, just to make sure its still working or turned on. It's that quiet.

I agree with Tom, it only makes noise when there's a target. I only have encountered an EMI issue at one little spot that I seem to be able to replicate each time I'm there. They seem to have some kind of underground sprinkler control system in that spot that drives it nuts. It's a shame, because I have pulled some old silver from that little spot with my CZ70 & F75, and I'm sure there's a few more there.

Small OOR 5" coil is a miracle coil on the Racer. It will make you scratch your head many times when hunting hard hit sites. One of the best detector/coil combos for hunting heavy iron on the market IMO.

For decades I have spent the bulk of my hunting time in older-use sites that abound in nails and other iron, and non-iron, trash. Some of the most challenging for any make or model detector and any search coil [size=small](detector brand or aftermarket)[/size] are most of the old Railroad townsites, especially if they were a long-term, active, bustling RR spot.

For 32 years+ I have made it a point to have one of the best general-purpose detector models on hand for dealing with a dense iron nail environment. Those would be one of several of my favorite Tesoro models, most often equipped with a 7" Concentric coil .. until they introduced their 6" Concentric. :thumbup: Not only are my favorite Tesoro's equipped with a 6" diameter Concentric coil light, balanced, and highly efficient in their abilities to weed some keepers out of dense iron debris, but they have been/are the models by which I compare all other detectors, regardless of their cost.

I have had passable performance on my Nail Board Performance Test with the White's MXT Pro w/6½" Concentric coil, or the Teknetics Omega 8000 w/5" DD coil. Currently I have passable performance from my Teknetics T2 'Classic' w/5" DD coil, if I am cautious about coil sweep speed so as not to sweep too quickly. That said, the Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' coil and Makro Racer w/'OOR' coil both out-perform any of these mentioned models in a dense iron infested site.

Back about '01Tesoro brought out their 8X9 coil, and since it wasn't a pronounced elliptical shape I started using the term 'OOR' because it was just kind of 'Out-Of-Round' compared with their stock 8" coil. Still, I preferred to use the smaller 7" and now the current 6" round Concentric coils on my Tesoro's, then along came the Nokta FORS CoRe and Makro Racer.

Since I almost always use smaller-than-stock coils most of the time, their little 4.7X5.2 Double-D was a perfect size, and provided ample in-the-field performance. In discussions and in print, I quickly started using my 'OOR' reference for it, too, because it's just a slightly 'Out-Of-Round' shaped coil. Besides, it is easier and shorter than saying it is a "four-point-seven by five-point-two." :) Besides, with the exceptional performance I get with that coil mounted to an excellent circuitry design, it kind of deserves a nifty handle to make sure attention is called to it. :thumbup:

The Makro Racer w/'OOR' have been providing me with above average performance in dense iron challenged sites now for eight months and this combination has easily out-performed all other modern, digitally-designed detectors out there. This combination is a little more forgiving if you errantly sweep a little faster than the MXT Pro or T2 or F19 and most other makes and models, with the only exception I have found being one of my favorite Tesoro models with a 6" Concentric coil. The Racer/'OOR' combo come closer to their performance than any other detector I have used, and believe me, that says a lot about the performance.

Right now I am just west of you a bit in Gilliam County (Arlington specifically) and would be glad to meet up with you this month and let you check out the performance of the Makro Racer and its excellent smaller coil. I am not a fan of most after-market search coils and doubt that anyone could come along that would impress me like the 'OOR' coil does. It is hunting season, and I have been checking rent rates over near Ontario as I plan to move soon, but I am sure I can meet up with you and let you borrow one for a few days to give it a try. Just shoot me an e-mail or give me a call.

Trust me, you need to put it to the test against any of the models you have listed in your 'signature' using comparable smaller coils, and make my NBPT the challenge they face. Note that the Racer and 'OOR' are part of my current detector arsenal, and it is for a very good reason ... the combination 'feels' good, 'balances okay, and provides me the excellent performance I want and need in highly trashy site encounters.

Monte