Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coils.

rick in mi

Speaking of coils. I just purchased a 6×10 for my f75ltd. It's used but in very good condition. Plus for 40 bucks it works really well in the woods. All except for one problem. I'm struggling with pin pointing. Sometimes it appears to pinpoint at the toe other times near the heel. Any advice? hhrickinmi

Try de tuning while over your target to the center of the coil. I am heading to church in a couple of minutes, but if you need help with how to de tune let me know.
Ron in WV

Hey Ron WV62. I'm not familiar with de tuning. Please explain hhrickinmi

Most DD coils pinpoint at both the toe and heel. I would say that if it pinpoints on the toe and not the heel, there is another target interfering forward of what you are pinpointing and just the opposite when it pinpoints at the heel, that is, the interfering target is is behind what you are pinpointing. Detuning is pinpointing first and then moving a small distance away, release the pinpoint trigger, and then and pull the trigger again. This causes the detector to "detune" and make the target smaller just like a regular pinpointer does.

Sure, de tuning is the name I gave it but in the manual on page 24 the official name is Narrow It Down. In case you don't have a manual here is what it says.

Narrow It Down
To further narrow the field of detection, position the searchcoil near the center of the response pattern (but not at the exact center), release the trigger, and then pull it again. Now you will only hear a response when the searchcoil is right over the the top of the target. Repeat this procedure to narrow the zone even further. Each time you repeat the procedure, the field of detection will narrow further.

Just a note from me, where it says in the manual to repeat the procedure, you can over do that process and the target will go away completely.

Okay it is time to head out in the yard with a dime for a little practice, you will get the feel for it and it is dead on.

Good luck,
Ron in WV

Yea,It's a nice coil for woods hunting, the various twigs and weeds don't get caught up like the open coils do. I also sometimes use it in the farm fields when I am in an area that has lots of iron. When I want to pinpoint I pull the coil "back" towards me and use the toe for pinpointing.

I take it you are referring to the 10" elliptical DD and not the Concentric. I have the6X10 DD on my F-19 Ltd. and use similar-size mid-size coils on my Nokta Relic, Makro Racer and Racer 2, Garrett Apex, and Fisher F-75+ and others. All too often people are mislead things a DD elliptical coil has a so-called" knife-blade" signal that goes straight sown from the front and rear tip of the coil. That's wrong. The Electromagnetic Field projected about a DD coil just like a Concentric coil will diminish in size or taper off as the distance increases from the coil's center axis to the farthest detection point.

In sort, either coil type, will typically have the hottest 'pinpoint' spot located in line with the center-axis of the coil IF the target is like a coin and is positioned as if laying flat-to-the-coil. An odd-shaped object, just like a canted coin, will read somewhat off-center simply due to the object's shape and size and orientation.

Read about "de-tuning" or "narrowing it down" and you will learn how to easily pinpoint a target relatively dead-center of the coil in most cases. Trying to PP off the tip of the coil or toe of the coil can be more difficult because a target that is deeper or is canted or odd-shaped with also PP off from being in-line with the coil tip, and to make things more tricky is in a more littered area you can advance the coil or pull the coil back to try and find a 'tip' response and end up moving the coil over another meal target. If it is a ferrous target and/or one that had been Discriminated, that can easily influence the ability to PP using a 'tip' method.

I've been using DD coils since the mid-'70s and continue to have no problem Pinpointing targets that are relatively dead-center of the coil.

Monte

Thanks for all the info. I had no problems at first while hunting in what I refer to as clean ground. The problem started as was mentioned from your feed back when I was at an old park with tons of trash. I've never used the 6×10 dd. Since day one always hunted with the 11 and 5 inch. Thanks guys. Your feedback got me back on my feet. I must admit I was a bit embarrassed with myself when i couldn't find the penny I knew was under my coil LOL hhrickinmi

Here is another situation. A coin on edge, when swung over lengthwise, will pinpoint on the front and back edge of a DD coil but will disappear or give an iron tone when directly over it.