Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coiltek 12x8 (Platypus) coil

The Magician

Does anyone have any experience with this coil? I've been giving this coil some consideration, it may be between that and the joey. I'm after separation and depth. Is the Platypus worth it if I already have the stock 10.5 and the WOT?

The Magician said:
Does anyone have any experience with this coil? I've been giving this coil some consideration, it may be between that and the joey. I'm after separation and depth. Is the Platypus worth it if I already have the stock 10.5 and the WOT?

Magician....what is your take on the WOT? Is it strictly for clean wide open areas,beaches and fields perhaps? Does it offer a clear advantage over the stock coil where it can be used efficiently? I'm after the same thing you and everybody else is,killer depth while being able to separate to a fine degree. I don't know if it's out there but I have a Sunray x-8 on the way to find out. I haven't read a lot about the platypus but it must be out there,it'd be interesting to know what works best...in general.

IDXMonster

Never tried a Platypus but I leave the 5x10 Joey on one of my Explorers full time . I really like it . My other 2 coils for the Explorer are a WOT and a 6" EQ2 . I feel I have most hunting situations covered.

For me, the WOT is a must have, good coverage and target seperation is pretty good. It goes deeper than the stock 10.5, perhaps by an inch, but that's a lot. However, often I've been caught out where I would have needed to squeeze through tight places like thin strips on flawn, between poles, close to curbs/concrete (which has big metal in it) etc. I'm also not sure about what I'm missing in trashy areas. Smaller coins may not be suited for this coil, it goes alright on smaller coins and have found small silver but, perhaps a smaller coil might do better?

Many have given good reviews of the coiltek alternatives, it is the only brand I'll trust as Coiltek are pretty much close to minelab. For me, the WOT is a much much better all-rounder than the stock 10.5, I don't think the stock goes that deep and it doesn't seem to seperate that well.

dirt doctor said:
Never tried a Platypus but I leave the 5x10 Joey on one of my Explorers full time . I really like it . My other 2 coils for the Explorer are a WOT and a 6" EQ2 . I feel I have most hunting situations covered.

Which coil do you use the most? I'm a bit conflicted on the Joey, do you find it gives consistent readings? I used to know an etrac user who did very well with it, could find silver, though he did leave the deeper ones behind.

I use the stock minelab small coil, is the 6 inch EQ2 that much better? I don't own the Platypus - but I do have 10 x 12 SEF and WOT - they both are much better in my case then the stock 10.5 minelab

The Magician said:
dirt doctor said:

Which coil do you use the most? I'm a bit conflicted on the Joey, do you find it gives consistent readings? I used to know an etrac user who did very well with it, could find silver, though he did leave the deeper ones behind.

The Joey . I find its readings consistent . I have friends who do quite well with theirs, they where the inspiration for me getting mine .

BigTony said:
I use the stock minelab small coil, is the 6 inch EQ2 that much better? I don't own the Platypus - but I do have 10 x 12 SEF and WOT - they both are much better in my case then the stock 10.5 minelab

The stock Minelab small coil is a great coil in my opinion but I like using the 6" Eq2 better because it's lighter and I can get in tighter places such as areas of Ice plants and thicker weeds . My Wot very seldom gets used except for an occasional beach hunt .

I went out today, used the stock coil for only the second time on my Explorer 2. I normaly use the WOT, and the smaller stock made me realise how much I need left-to-right target separation. Didn't realise just how trashy the parks were for the WOT untill I went back to the stock, but even with that it felt too slow and the coil diameter too wide, thinner would definately be better. I did find some old coins and one silver and most were deep, was very impressed with the stock.

Will the Platypus be thin enough to give great target separation? Is the Joey deep enough? These are the main questions for me as I can only afford one coil right now.

... well, I got a great deal on a Platypus, used it once so far, didn't have time to compare depth with other coils, Joey will have to wait. The Plat works well, gives clearer signals than the stock and is more accurate at ID. Not sure how deep it goes though, but is very heavy and makes the shaft wobble.