Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coiltek WOT v Sun Ray 12 inch coil.

Nomad NJ

It seems that every time that I have been on the beach in NJ I see hunters with a Sovereign GT straight shafts & 15 inch WOT coils. In use the Tornado 800 & 1000 coils Can anyone give an opinion as to which coil is better for on the beach.

What is your favorite color? Everyone is different. Some are hunting dry sand. Some are in the water. Some want to cover more area. Some want to take their time. Some think certain coils are too heavy. Some hate pinpointing with larger coils. Some are trying to get between iron with smaller coils. Try a different coil and tell us what you think.

Agreed! Its what ever you looking to do with your machine. Depends on your type of hunting. Each coil has its advantages as well as its disadvantages. That's why they make them for all types of hunting. Sounds silly but that's it.

The WOT give better depth and coverage ,thats why they use it so long as its not really trashy I can easaly get a 12" dep dime with the WOT I can not get it with the 10" coil its that simple

I use the WOT on my Excalibur II and the coverage is awesome. It cut down the time to cover a large area down a lot! It is made and designed by the same company that originally made the coils for Minelab before Minelab started making their own. So compatibility is not an issue. They sure built the WOT right. I love it on wet and dry sand and large fields where there is not a lot of trash. In the salt water, the WOT gets a little feisty with a little falsing when you first get into the water. Once you are out of the wave crash area, it settles down. For trashy areas, the factory 8 inch or other optional coils are the way to go.

I have heard good things too about the 12 inch Sunray coil. It is about 3 inches smaller than the WOT.

Either way you will probably like what ever you get. Both are good choices.

The Sun Ray S-12 is my favorite as i had the WOT on my Sovereign and then tried the S-12 for my park hunting and found it worked much beter and seem to go deeper too. I know many like the WOT too so it has to be a good coil, but for me the S-12 did much beter for my park and ballfeild hunting.

n/t

sound like th S-12 is a good coil

I haven't used the WOT coil on either my Excal or my Sovereign , but have used the SEF 10 x 12 and the SEF 12 x15 ......I like the SunRay S-12 better ......The S-12 ia Large coil for a 12 inch coil too !!.... It goes deeper than the SEF coils that I used .....A lot of folks use the WOT 15 and like it very much but I can't reccomend what I have not used ..... Jim

I had an older WOT for my GT and thought it was too heavy an sold it. I now use a 12" x 15" SEF for the beach and love it. It feels lighter to me. I also own a 10" X 12" SEF and found it deeper and smoother then the S-12 in actual ground testing in my yard, but it could be different at another site. That being said, I may give one of the newer WOT's a try.

The WOT is larger & deeper 12 inches vs 14.5 How much more area do U think U can cover in a 8 hour hunt ? Simple as that & if U R not a 90 LB weakling U should have no problems hunting it all day