Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin Cleaning and grading....

GeoPa

It's been covered a bunch of times and I never made note because it didn't apply to me. Well a friend of mine found a 1793 chain cent of Saturday and a local shop offered him $3500.00 on the spot. The front is immaculate but the back is pretty rough. He wants to have it cleaned and graded, I told him that I'd post on the forum and see who people have used and their satisfaction with the service. What does cleaning and grading run? He's going to have it done regardless, that question of price was just for my curiosity. Thanks, George

Be sure to tell him NOT to sell it for that price, they can fetch some astounding $$$$$$$ when handled right, even ones with problems.
That's a find of a life time.
Mike

Here it is, it was dug by my friend Ralph, eight inches down. It was a half hour dig through roots. He was using a DFX.

I scanned this because my camera battery is shot, this doesn't show the detail very well.

The reverse didn't fare as well.

Sweet coin George.Tell your friend to send a pic and a story into Whites.I'm sure they'll use it and send him a $200.00 gift certificate.Dave

Seen some worn more than that one going for twice the amount your friend was offered.I wouldn't be to quick to part with it.Dave

Auctions take a good cut,then you have to pay taxes on top of that.Dealers are looking to buy it and double their money reselling it.With ebay you get the actual collectors of these coins bidding against each other.Go check out what some of these are going for on ebay right now.Makes me want to hit the woods right now.Of course he found it with a DFX Charles.It loves old coppers.haha.Dave

Coin dealers are crooks, they are below lawers in my opinion. Ebay is probably fine for most coins but for a coin that might go for $30k or more I'm not sure ebay is the way to go or that you would get the best price, especially for a chain cent. Taxes, well technically you are supposed to pay taxes whether you go ebay or not. He found it with a Sovereign dude, it was too deep for the DFX. :D

ANACS is one of the only services who claim to grade damaged coins. LC coins dug are usually & obviously environmentally damaged. They charge $25 for 5 day turn-around on one coin.

my experience - they took my $ and said 'cannot verify as real'. I'd say if someone offered this guy $3500 cash - take the money and run.

I doubt any major service will grade an environmentally damaged coin and put their logo on it.

My coin was worth at least $900.00 but may have been in a fire.
Good luck!

n/t