Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin Cleaning - Various Methods

Turak

I have tried many methods (dry tumbling, ultrasound, electrolysis, chemicals, etc.) for cleaning coins now....

Recently gave the following method, 'Wet Tumbling', a try. Thanks John Edmonton for the suggestion....

I would suggest taking a look at the following video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbuiV3RJou0

It seems to work VERY good. I was especially impressed at how well it did with the copper coins compared to the other methods mentioned below.

I used a 3lb. Rock Tumbler, with 1 lb. Jewelers 'nano' media (extra small little stainless steel bits and pieces), distilled water, and 1 drop of Dawn dish washing liquid.
Tumbled a batch of clad coins (about 10 quarters and dimes) for about 10 hours. Came out looking pretty good. Then I cleaned every thing out. Put in new water, soap, and media
along with a batch ( about 12) of copper pennies. Tumbled the pennies for about 6 hours. The pennies came out looking FANTASTIC.
I was amazed at how well some stainless jewelers media, distilled water, and a drop of soap worked.

This is DEFINITELY one method you want to try if you want to try to clean your coins up without causing any real adverse effects.

Probably Dry tumbling with corncob or walnut would be the next best method, meaning... the least likely to damage the coins at all.

I have tried the following methods (rated from the MOST forgiving to the LEAST forgiving);

Dry tumbling - Vibratory tumbler using walnut and corncob media. Works OK. Won't clean everything off with copper. Works pretty good with silver. Slow, but VERY forgiving and hard to really damage a coin.
Ultrasound - Works pretty good. Fairly forgiving, although pitting can be a problem.

The following two methods are the most likely to damage an item if done incorrectly;

Electrolysis - Good for HEAVY scale. Pitting is a DEFINITE PROBLEM using this method. Lower voltages 9v-10v are a bit better.
Chemicals - Can work OK. Have to be REAL careful, pitting, staining, and stripping are problems. This is one of those areas that you will either have GREAT results or HORRIBLE or BOTH results depending on the circumstances.

I would say what many others say... If it appears to be of any MAJOR VALUE, you would be better off to take it and have it PROFESSIONALLY cleaned by someone who specializes in cleaning valuable coins/jewelry.

It is REALLY EASY to turn an extremely valuable coin or jewelry into junk by cleaning it incorrectly.