Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin cleaning

Kiwi

Hi, Has anyone tried cleaning coins by sandblasting but using crushed walnut shell instead of sand ? as I understand it is non abrasive

Well on that thought I whould think soda blasting would be the least harmfull of the bunch. However it is still an abrasive process, so give it a shot and see.
Sarcasm. Any type of blasting is abrasive. It is my understanding though, that soda is the least damaging.
We have soda at work maybe I should try it out on a crusted penny. I can't imagine it would leave a desireable finish. No don't think I will.

If you do let us know how it works. Don't dwell in any single spot!

Good Luck
Jeff

Coin Care Equipment
http://time-lines.co.uk/how-to-clean-coins-3593-0.html

(Maybe also soak coins in Coca-Cola, heha.)

I've had good luck using rough ground dried corn kernels in a rotating tumbler. It takes a while to clean them but the results are worth the wait.and I've not noticed any coin damage to any of the coins I cleaned. As a test I ran a batch of pennies for four days which was too long causing the coins to look overly polished and shiny which may not be desirable for certain coins.

Dirthog: That method would probably also be great for using on older finds with little collector value, so as to having them looking as nice as possible. Although I have a friend who finds over $2,000 worth the coins a year (Probably why I don't find many, ha!), suspect he would be tumbling 24/7 if not for using an industrial grade tumbling media...

Well, I've known that old books get cleaned with a kind of sandblast method but with crushed dry ice, don't know how it will work with coins, might be fun to try on non valuable ones, hehe.

I use aquarium gravel, a couple of tablespoons of cream of tarter, and water in my rock tumbler. This is only for clad coins as it will destroy collector value of any good coins. Be sure to separate the copper from the silver otherwise you will have pick clads. My bank won't take them if pink but coinstar will.