Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

coin could it be Roman?

Rrnp

I'm posting this for a friend, it was found in southern California. Ignore the chuckie cheese token and the merc. The coin is in very bad condition and the pics aren't great.

Attachments

• IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    846.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    855.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    785 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    668.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    509.5 KB · Views: 150
Nice coin, Rrnp!... Below is an enhanced composite image of your pics showing both sides to help with the identification...

RRnp_1.jpg

Think this may be on the right track:
coins-roman-empire-gordien-iii-cesar-238-sesterce-rome-238-r-vase-a-sacrifice_126203R.jpg
coins-roman-empire-gordien-iii-cesar-238-sesterce-rome-238-r-vase-a-sacrifice_126203A.jpg

RRnp_2.jpg

"

Gordian III, Caesar (238 . Sesterce. Rome, 238. R /: sacrifice vase
Sesterce. Rome, 238. R /: PIETAS.AVG S-C. Sacrifice vase between an august staff, a sacrificial knife and a coat hook on the left, a simpule and a sprinkler on the right. C 183. RIC 3. 24.64 g."

Last edited:
a better match, same guy... slightly different vase and lettering...
coins-roman-empire-gordien-iii-cesar-238-sesterce-rome-238-r-vase-a-sacrifice_124447R.jpg
coins-roman-empire-gordien-iii-cesar-238-sesterce-rome-238-r-vase-a-sacrifice_124447A.jpg

RRnp_2.jpg

Gordianus III Pietas

An even better match... different guy with a closer vase shape and lettering and particularly with the eye and head and chin profile... very close.....
roman-imperial-coinage-5105592-XL.jpg

RRnp_2.jpg

Maximus Sestertius:
Lot 1886. Roman Imperial Coinage
Roman Empire (Ancient, 27 BC - 476 AD)
Maximus. Æ Sestertius (21.75 g), Caesar, AD 235-238. VF
Maximus. Æ Sestertius (21.75 g), Caesar, AD 235-238. Rome, Under Maximinus I, AD 236/7. MAXIMVS CAES GERM, bare-headed and draped bust of Maximus right. Reverse: PIETAS AVG, S C in exergue, priestly implements: lituus, knife, patera, jug, simpulum, and sprinkler. RIC 11; BMC 204. Pleasing light green and brown patina.

Last edited:
An even better match... different guy with a closer vase shape and lettering and particularly with the eye and head and chin profile... very close.....
View attachment 2157

View attachment 2155
Maximus Sestertius:
Lot 1886. Roman Imperial Coinage
Roman Empire (Ancient, 27 BC - 476 AD)
Maximus. Æ Sestertius (21.75 g), Caesar, AD 235-238. VF
Maximus. Æ Sestertius (21.75 g), Caesar, AD 235-238. Rome, Under Maximinus I, AD 236/7. MAXIMVS CAES GERM, bare-headed and draped bust of Maximus right. Reverse: PIETAS AVG, S C in exergue, priestly implements: lituus, knife, patera, jug, simpulum, and sprinkler. RIC 11; BMC 204. Pleasing light green and brown patina.

WOW! You are good! I thought it was a long shot but I think you nailed it. Thanks

WOW! You are good! I thought it was a long shot but I think you nailed it. Thanks
whoa, whao, whao.... before you run off, Rrnp , where did you dig that up? :ROFLMAO: Also, think this is pretty close to id'ing it, but from what I saw while looking around, some of the roman coins with these markings are considered pretty rare... 21 existing examples and such... might be worth your while to have an expert have a look at it. :thumbup:

whoa, whao, whao.... before you run off, Rrnp , where did you dig that up? :ROFLMAO: Also, think this is pretty close to id'ing it, but from what I saw while looking around, some of the roman coins with these markings are considered pretty rare... 21 existing examples and such... might be worth your while to have an expert have a look at it. :thumbup:
Ok Ill try to find an expert. a friend found it in an old neighborhood in southern CA so I don’t think the Romans were there😂. People carry and loose all types of coins , I once found a large cent a mile away from that find. is it probably a Roman coin or a fake Roman coin? THANKS!