Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin custom programming

norbyx

Since I am not in the US i thought that the V3i was able to custom program the coins that he learns to read. I know there are other machines that can do this so I just thought the top of line of white could do it as well. Am I wrong?
what i am trying to achieve here is that since local currency has nothing to do with US, (here the currency is called colones) let's say I detect 100 colones coin at +75VDI, is there some way to tell the machine to display this on the screen when it finds another one on the ground???

Change your tones to match your targets,that would be the best way. Then get used to what tones are the ones your after. Yazoo

Expert menu - Discrimination - Icon Table - Custom - Edit

I don't think you can add new images (no USB, but one of the experts in the forum can answer that one), but you can assign any VDI numbers to any image in the detector, OR, YOU CAN ADD CUSTOM TEXT. So if you want +74 to +76 to read "100 Colones" (rather than an image), you can do that. The process of creating a Custom Icon Table can be a little tedious, but it's also fun to have YOUR ideas of a neat Icon Table plugged into the machine.

Have fun with it and good luck. Dave

The best way is as yazoo says.Use tone I.D. You get to know what sound your local currency makes but as the tones are linked to the VDI numbers it means the best way forward is to set your tones in "blocks" around the expected VDI of the target as the ground minerals can give a higher or lower reading. Here in the U.K. most Whites users switch the icons off as well because they have no relevance in this country. Our medievil coins sometimes appear in the foil range as they are so thin !!

Ok thanks I see that it can be done, as soon as I get the detector I will be checking it out. I know there is a BIG and LONG learning curve on this one. Will just need to be patient.

Yes norbyx it is a learning curve but don't be afraid to ask questions and follow posts other users make.I've been swinging a V3i for a year and a half and I'm still learning the machines capabilities. It's great fun though !!!

grumpyjohn said:
Yes norbyx it is a learning curve but don't be afraid to ask questions and follow posts other users make.I've been swinging a V3i for a year and a half and I'm still learning the machines capabilities. It's great fun though !!!
Don't worry you will be looking at my posts soon enough... I have been reading the forums and have seen the videos on the machine, still I think that the good part of the V3i is that is a machine you will never stop learning from and it is so adjustable that I don't think it will unlikely get obsolete.
I think I might just fall in love with it and keep it for a long long time.

I have a program set up like rustedwoodsman indicated with some VDI text entered. I use this program at locations where I could find older coins. I have several denominations such as VDI for half dime, fatty Indians, 2 and 3 cent, etc..,
Rather than picking one VDI number for each denomination, I used a range of plus or minus 3 to help notify me of a possible good target. My standard "go to" program is Magics pro. In that program I run Magics recommended VDI tones.

The program I mentioned I use VDI text on is a modified version of Magics Pro, but still have the same tones, only I entered some new tones to go along with the text.

Most of us get rid of the Icons as it really is just a learning and marketing tool anyways. Assigning tones is where it's at because audio is the quickest processing in our brain and Tone ID (combined with 0 or low tone) is a very important skill set to learn. It is huge when being assaulted with dense iron where it is so bad that the iron target perimeters are impossible to trace.

It was last year but at one site I had to find a hearing aid battery (Inside a plastic $2500.00 hearing aid!) in a sea of iron scrap that was deeper than the shallow target. (Thank God!)Massive de-tune, 3 number single tone assignment....all else 0 tone, and 4x6 coil allowed me to find the blasted thing! (I'd never done this before but it made the machine surgical.)

Another spot I started to run across Wheats and Indians mixed with small copper roofing nails and quite a bit of coke. (It was a mess because everything was close in and the same color of green,brown and black!) The area was adjacent to railroad land where a company town had been bulldozed back in the early 40's and as near as I could figure, there was a roll of pennies that "had seen the blade". Again a de-tune,4x6,narrow tone assignment....close to 30 pennies with a smattering of Buffs and V Nickels. It was FUN!

Just wanted to illustrate how you could live in "Upper Volta" and assign tones to all your coins or coin types. Would imagine you Europeans would have a huge range of coin types to take into account but just say to heck with denomination signitures and go for "families of signitures" and.....don't let the US icons mess you up....we get rid of the stupid things when we get our numbers down anyways too.

Yes here in the U.K. our coinage has varied from medieval silver farthings about 10mm across and very thin up to the 1797 copper twopence which weighed 2 ounces and was a 5mm thick by 40mm across ! The variation is tremendous with the thin silver sometimes coming up in the foil range !! Makes life interesting though !!

Yup.....our "modern" history is nowhere near as old plus......with few exceptions, a current denomination that was made in say 1860 is still the same signiture. If you aren't a collector of coins, a good thing to do would be to get your hands on a grouping of all types that were in your respective history and get those VDI number down. Almost all older coins were made with "good metal" and even though the denominations are different, families of signitures are still a consistant thing and tight VDI's are what we like to find! Now "hammered"? Those buggers are not only thin but their orientation in the ground is (or can) cause a huge variable but still....once trained, our brains are the best dang detector on the planet....there is still a wider consistency patern to recognize.

On a different note! Those Georgy Twopence are one COOL coin and have had one example or another for 25 years. Two 1797 cents worth of copper (Gargantuan beauties) and really tough to find problem free......when those hit the ground, the earth shook! I remember buying them for 20 US....not anymore! Putting one in your front pocket can change a family's future lineage too! (I think it was a one year experiment because of this.)