Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin ID help please

Ted S

Some time earlier in the year I posted(I think) about a large cent I found in a field with my Equinox 600. It is a cold and windy day here in Iowa so I dug out the large cent to take a look. I used 0000 steel wool and found what may have read Liberty across the top. This indicates that it is the flowing hair type which was minted in the 1790s? Can anyone tell me more about this coin? It is pretty beat up as you can see. If it is from the late 1700s it will be the oldest coin I have found! Thanks! Ted

Attachments

• libcent.JPG
    libcent.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 232
Try placing tracing paper on it and rub it with eraser to bring out what is on it. You will get image . I have done that on coins before and was able to make out what was on it.

Carver

Last edited:
Some time earlier in the year I posted(I think) about a large cent I found in a field with my Equinox 600. It is a cold and windy day here in Iowa so I dug out the large cent to take a look. I used 0000 steel wool and found what may have read Liberty across the top. This indicates that it is the flowing hair type which was minted in the 1790s? Can anyone tell me more about this coin? It is pretty beat up as you can see. If it is from the late 1700s it will be the oldest coin I have found! Thanks! Ted
I have a lot of those blanks from farmed field hunts....some IH size too....fertilizer is a bad copper eater ! Is this a farmed field find ? Silver comes out ok...not copper .

A Large Cent ?
I'd use a set of Caliper's on the coin to tell it's exact size in Millimeter's - that could help narrow down what it is.
Using a little flashlight and a jeweler's loop can also help ID the coin.
Also, sometimes when the sit for a while the date becomes more readable.

Good Luck !