Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin test garden

Dan'O

I'm curious as to how long it could take to have our test garden react like it hasn't been dug up and planted?
I understand that soil, moisture and mineralization can and will affect the outcome. So, I'm just looking for general information.
By the way, I live near Boise, Idaho so its semi high desert with areas of high mineralization.
My place is plagued with EMI but only moderate mineralization.
I will be planting coins, relics and junk.
Thanks, Dan

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,2459120

I would say a minimum of 3 years--but it may vary with ground moisture.
(If you want a more precise and qualified answer try Nasa Tom, as there is NOTHING he has not tested out tdankowski@cfl.rr.com and he always answers.
His website is full of really good articles on tests of iron trashed sites and recoveries.)
In all my years of using detectors only one unit would hit a newly buried coin to depth, in motion mode: that was a Compass X-100 (13.77kHz)
with 16" concentric loop with and both transmit and sensitivity maxed (low mineral) and it showed a 12" quarter to be a half. None of the others would even give an audio in disc.
and I used larger than stock loops of 10, 12, 14, 15 & 16 inches.
Every unit with a ground balanced non motion mode would give audio (Tek-9000/8500/Mk-1,Garrett ADS, Fisher-555, 6000Di among many.)
The X-100 would identify in the all metal, I just do not recall if I tested it. I think the F-75 might do it in some ground in stat; that mode is literally a cannon and will hit a quarter in air
at close to two feet. (Considering it comes with a 7" DD that is astounding.)
Check out the way some test units on youtube: they did slots into a flat sided hill and push targets in from the side, and the dirt above is undisturbed (though this method takes
oxidation of target and halo effect out of the equation.) Digging out a deep solid plug did not seem to offer any improvement over taking the dirt out in a loose mass either (though
I wonder if big plugs might get the ground back to the equal of undisturbed faster.) :shrug:

Thanks for the link, that was a very interesting group of opinions.
I also appreciate your personal experience and think that I will make up some 'board tests' with coins in different position, angles, compositions, try to simulate pocket spills with varying types of coins in 'spilled' like fashion and then mix in all types of junk for each good target, in as many different configurations as I can and then some with just junk targets. I will use actual finds for the junk - as I have a lot of that - and use all of this to help train my ear. If I could get out a lot more often I may not bother at all but till then I'll take the odd ten minutes or so and try to learn my detectors language as best I can.
Flawed approach? Probably. Are there better ways? I'm sure of that! But here's the principle behind my actions; Thought my life I have learned that there are certain things that are true and then there are facts. Feelings aren't facts but don't ever let a woman here you say that! However, it is a fact that we feel and are influenced by those feelings. I therefore I feel that there can be AN answer to a question and then there can be THE answer to a question. For example: It is true that in order for mortal humans to stay alive we must have oxygenated blood flowing at least to our vital organs. So that is THE answer. An answer to staying alive could be about how we are able to get that oxygen into our bloodstream. There is more than one answer to that query! Those answers can the A answer but not THE only answer.
What we are dealing with here is a situation where there can be AN answer for someone in West Virginia and another answer for someone in Portland. The only THE answer to this whole thing is that you must have your coil over a target before you can even hope to get a signaled response from it.
So, having said that and the fact that I am not able to get out very often - an answer to my situation is the construction of above mentioned boards. Another answer and perhaps a better one would be to find another line of work where I can get out more and get the real world experience and the lessons learned from it that can be had in no other way. That is all a matter of priorities and personal choice - with many others being affected by what I choose. So, for now, I will do what I can within those priorities that we've set and read about and learn from what others are able to do and have done.

My ground is sandy and it doesnt take long at all.