Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin tumbling question…

robo

This has been bugging me for years and have never been able to find a good answer
Tumbled some clad today and as usual
They came out like this (red patina)
No coppers mixed in
I know it spends but am curious if any one found a way for them not to come out like this.
Aquarium gravel and pine sol used today

Attachments

• IMG_3481.jpeg
    IMG_3481.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
hmmm.. maybe the pine sol was the issue. never heard that used before. typically its aquarium gravel and a little dawn dish detergent in the tumbler... i use a vibrating tumbler for my wheaties with crushed corn cob as the medium abrasive...works great !!

Mark ( ohio )

How long a period do you tumble them?

This has been bugging me for years and have never been able to find a good answer
Tumbled some clad today and as usual
They came out like this (red patina)
No coppers mixed in
I know it spends but am curious if any one found a way for them not to come out like this.
Aquarium gravel and pine sol used today
I use aquarium gravel or steel bb size media along with dish detergent and / or ammonia. Some coins, will not clean up no matter what I use.

Usually 3 hours or so
I run mine 10 hours plus,a squirt of dawn,run for 4 or 5 hours,flush out the drum in your sink with sprayer,a squirt of dawn and let er rip.

I had some that looked like that when I tumbled some overnight. The water was black as was the foam on top. I found if I tumbled for a half to a full hour and then changed the water and cleaned the gravel and tumbled again with cleaned media, the coins were much better. First tumble I use rough gravel, water, and Dawn soap; second, aquarium gravel, water, Dawn, and a half ounce or so of white vinegar.

Try broken/crushed auto glass with CLR and sm. amount of Dawn dish detergent. My coins always come out shiny bright. Pennys have not discolored clad or silver. I run tumbler for 2 or more hrs.
Auto glass has never resulted in cuts on bare fingers.

There is some good ideas on here, many have their favorite was and I may try some of them.
First separate the copper and the clad as they should not be tumble together or you will get red coins. Now my way is depending on the tumbler and how much you have to do, add the coins in the tumbler so its about 1/3 of the basket and a good 1/3 with the gravel and add a good squirt of lemon juice, mabe about 1/4 of cup add water until its about a half to 3/4 full, seal it and tumble copper for around hour and a half, now clad tumble for a good 3 hours or so, rinse and take out the ones that are nice and put the others that are not too good back in with some more clad and tumble again, when you drain them to that again. . most coppers only need one tumble and some I have to run again.
Now this is my method with the clad dont come out nice is I use my small tumbler and will put the coins in and add some muriatic acid, but very little and be careful with it, then add my gravel and only tumble about 1/2 hour or so and then take the coins and gravel out and rinse it well, do this a quick as possible and put them back in the tumbler and add lemon juice again to clean off the acid. if you leave then out after the acid and not rinse it seem like they will turn flat gray.

My Gravel is aquarium gravel and have so small stainless steel grit in with the aquarium gravel. the lemon juice is called real lemon and buy it from Sams as I get 2 quarts of it for around $6 or so. My tumblers are my 25 pound rock tumbler and a 7 pound for small batches. I also have a big vibrating tumbler that I use for my wheaties as they look so good and not over clean.
One of the guy uses a cement mixer with broken glass that is the stuff that shatter good, like the stuff rear car window are made of. He can do $500 of clad at one time, but I feel it is passable but not as nice as what i tumble.
If I can find the pictures as they were on my old computer andI had the files switched and some didnt switch and may post them when I find them if I have them yet.

Rick

I toss all of them into the vibrator tumbler with walnut and let them go overnight. Done good enough.