Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coinhunting?

Beale

I am a coin shooter plain and simple. I have narrowed my choices down to the Outlaw or the Golden? I hunt parks, schools, and playgrounds. Of thes 2 which is the best coin shooter? Beale.

Beale sounds like you were in my boat a few weeks back. I liked both units and especially liked the tones option on the Golden. (Keep in mind they can share same coils) I also like the disc on the golden..that is nice. I think the Outlaw does have better depth than the Golden, its pretty close to the V but not as deep . IMO....with the 3 coils and the retune feature and i love the all metal toggle the Outlaw won the battle so mine is here tomorrow. I put it like this..if I did not like the Outlaw i had plenty of trade for a Golden. If you went head to head with the quick change out on coils with the Outlaw I think it would win anyday in all conditions.

Im no expert but thats what made me go Out!!!

Good luck bud!!
MIKE

The

I've had several non-tesoro detectors with tones. Quite frankly I didn't care for the tones, but that's just me. IMHO the outlaw is a much more versatile detector that will handle ground conditions that will foil the Golden. That said, I'm also a believer that if one of something is good, two is even better. So, why not work one of each into your stable as your budget allows? After all, they use the same coils and a backup machine is always a plus.
BB

The Golden uMax, hands down.

Even on the Tesoro website, the Golden is listed specifically as a "Coin" detector, while the Outlaw is an "All-Terrain" detector.

When the manufacturer themselves tell you they designed a detector to hunt coins, thats probably the most solid advice you can get.

Smudge said:
The Golden uMax, hands down.

Even on the Tesoro website, the Golden is listed specifically as a "Coin" detector, while the Outlaw is an "All-Terrain" detector.

When the manufacturer themselves tell you they designed a detector to hunt coins, thats probably the most solid advice you can get.

Im going to have to say its called an "All Terrain" detector is cause of its coils. The outlaw is more versitle cause of that option. Both are great choices so wont go wrong either way. I just think Outlaw will out peform it in all conditions....hence "All Terrain"

Beale said:
I am a coin shooter plain and simple.
Coins come in a variety of sizes, shapes and metal alloys. Most coin hunting sites also have an abundance of common trash that can respond similar to a desired coin (or jewelry) item, or be a target that can mask a coin (or jewelry) object. The "plain and simple" approach to success is to use a very low Discriminate setting that will just barely reject common iron nails. Then, pick the best search coil for the site environment, sweep slowly and methodically, recovering all good and 'iffy' target hits. The Outlaw has the ED-120 Disc. adjustment range [size=small](or that is stated, but i haven't used the Outlaw, yet, to verify the setting)[/size], and at the minimum Disc. setting that should be just enough to reject most typical iron nails.

Beale said:
I have narrowed my choices down to the Outlaw or the Golden?
Don't forget that you also have to consider the search coils you'll want to use for hunting different sires, and also keep in mind that some ground mineral environments can have some challenging ground mineral conditions. The Outlaw features a manual Ground Balance adjustment and I feel that gives it the 'edge' in this case.

Beale said:
I hunt parks, schools, and playgrounds. Of these 2 which is the best coin shooter? Beale.
These types of sites have a wide range of targets that all sound similar to good targets. Trying to audibly reject some unwanted trash targets is very difficult. I do have some Tone ID models in my personal detector battery, and there are occasional times I might use the Tone ID, but .... most of the time I do NOT use Tone ID because there are too many conditions where really bad ground or a nearby masking target can cause a good find ([size=small]aka coin[/size]) respond with a different Target ID ([size=small]or audio Tone[/size]) such that is would appear to sound like trash. Thus, the Outlaw wouldn't cause you to have to do the pick-and-choose routine when keeping things simple and serious will get the jiob done .. better .. and more successfully.

Go with the Outlaw. I'd bet the 8" and 5

I disagree with all the above. I am a Coin Hunter myself and will never consider a detector without a Notch. My pick is the Golden or the Cortez. Why dig all those tabs when you can cut them out and still get rings as well as coins. Look up my posts. I am using an old Golden Saber right now which was an Ancester of the present Golden Umax. I really prefer the Cortez which has a little more depth. If the Deleon had the Notch feature it would be perfect simply because I like the Deleon screen better that the Cortez. I still have my Cortez but sent it in to get a fine tune.

daddyflea said:
I disagree with all the above. I am a Coin Hunter myself and will never consider a detector without a Notch. My pick is the Golden or the Cortez. Why dig all those tabs when you can cut them out and still get rings as well as coins. Look up my posts. I am using an old Golden Saber right now which was an Ancester of the present Golden Umax. I really prefer the Cortez which has a little more depth. If the Deleon had the Notch feature it would be perfect simply because I like the Deleon screen better that the Cortez. I still have my Cortez but sent it in to get a fine tune.

Daddyflea makes good sense. Beale, if you are a coin shooter, then the Golden is an excellent choice. Although the Outlaw is deeper and as you can imagine much more versatile, the Golden is a coin shooters dream. Keep in mind you can also use it with out the notch and dig it all. Remember, there's no GB and mine hits coins to about 5 inches reliably. When I'm going for coins and maybe dig a gold ring to boot, the Golden is what I grab. Just my opinion.

Beale, I don't think either machine is a whole lot of a step up from the Silver uMax you now have, at least for coinshooting. Unless you are planning on getting rich digging nickles, all you need do on your Silver uMax is crank the discrimination up to "Zlincoln" and go from there. From there you just swing that coil and wait for a clear signal. You will be plagued with very little junk. You are playing for the dimes, quarters and copper pennies. Remember, in most parks, playgrounds and athletic fields any coins you find are not going to be very deep, in my experience 5 inches or less. While I'll admit the Silver uMax is no technological wonder, it's more than detector enough to locate any coin at 5 inches, unless its some real freak soil found in maybe two places in the northern hemisphere.

The Golden and Cortez will both find Rings while knocking out tabs. I set my Cortez just over iron on Discrimination then Notch just under Zincolns. If there is a coin there regardless of a Zincoln or not I want to find it. I get little trash on this setting. If I want I can also Notch out the Zincolns but the better way to Cherry Pick is to up the Discrimination and any detector can do that.

Golden umax all the way, the tones makes it great , sorry everyone I haven't been in here Ive been sick but better, glad to see y'all guys !!!

Hank68 said:
Golden umax all the way, the tones makes it great , sorry everyone I haven't been in here Ive been sick but better, glad to see y'all guys !!!

I was wondering where you were? Be well buddy.

Haha, my heart is always with Tesoro , but I do have a few Garrett machines , HH buddy, hank

I agree with The Magician. The Compadre does a great job on coins & jewelry, at considerably less cost. Dealers are selling new at $160.65 and if not in a big hurry, you might find a previously-owned unit for less.

With my Compadre set at the "F" in Foil I always come home with coins and occasionally a piece of jewelry. It's a fun machine to use, uncomplicated and super light weight. At 2.2 lbs. you can swing it for hours without fatigue.

Todd