Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coins on edge?

thump7

I just tried everything I could think of to get my Vaquero to detect a coin on edge and it just won't do it. Did I miss something?
By waving the quarter past the coil it works ok. but standing a coin on edge and waving the coil over it like I would in real world conditions, it barely gives a crackle even it I super tune it. Is there something wrong with my machine?

I just tested mine with a quarter on edge. At min. disc. I get a signal at about 5 to 6 inches. On max disc I get a signal at about three inches.

I dug a couple nickles on edge with my vaq the other day at about 3 or 4 inches. Both gave a good dig me signal i was not super tuned either. This thing is very inpressive...I really like it.

thump7 said:
I just tried everything I could think of to get my Vaquero to detect a coin on edge and it just won't do it. Did I miss something?
By waving the quarter past the coil it works ok. but standing a coin on edge and waving the coil over it like I would in real world conditions, it barely gives a crackle even it I super tune it. Is there something wrong with my machine?

In the real world, I have picked up several coins on edge with my Vaq, and other detectors, too.
Don't worry about it.

WHERE did you stand the coin? Did you check in all metal for iron or any other influence? The Compadre double beeps on coins and rings on edge. I'm sure the Vaq should.

REVIER said:
thump7 said:

In the real world, I have picked up several coins on edge with my Vaq, and other detectors, too.
Don't worry about it.

Now that you mention it, I have picked up quite a few coins on edge.

I almost always run my disc slightly above foil and I was testing a few tips I read that were supposed to help pick up coins on edge.
I went and tried it again after reading one of the comments above with the disc at minimum. It made a big difference.

Anyways, with the results this machine has given me out in the field, it really wouldn't bother me much how well it would pick up coins on edge.
The AM mode is what I use most and it will pick up a coin on edge just as well as a coin laying flat.
I was just surprised with the initial test I did.

Thanks for the responses.

Coin on edge is a game changer. Depending on its vertical angle, it will shift the pinpoint to the left or the right of the center of the coil.
Try it in air-test if you can...pretty interesting and explains why some good targets are at the edge of the plug even though you can pinpoint like a pro.
Another thing to remember, the shape of an object contributes to its detectable conductivity. Coils love round objects like rings, coins, beer caps, steel washers...etc
A coin directly on edge probably looks like a short copper wire which is difficult for many detectors to read.
Keep on testing
Ran

My Eldorado had no problems picking up coins on edge, I was surprised it did so well.

Sven said:
My Eldorado had no problems picking up coins on edge, I was surprised it did so well.

Just curious, but will it still pick them up on edge with the disc above foil, waving the detector over the coin?
I have been thinking of picking up the eldorado, just missed a great deal on e-bay. a nearly mint eldorado was up for bid with a 'buy it now' tag set at $225.00. I clicked buy it now but someone else clicked it right before me.
I looked like a complete geek having a little fit on the computer.:blink:
On the Canadian forum I use "cokat7"

The problem in that it depends upon if it's modern CA clad or the older clad. Older clad would still come in to some extent over foil especially nickels and clad that was larger in size.
The dimes are the ones you lose first as you inch closer to nickel. You would have to experiment, I dug enough coins with the Eldo to figure it out. You'll also be surprised how many clad coins you'll find next to a nail.

Saw that Eldo, watched it for a week, was going to bid, then decided not to when I got a chance to buy a different machine. You know what it is if you have been on the other forum site.

Happy hunting

As mentioned by a couple of others, a coin on edge cannot give the same response to the detector as a coin facing the coil. depending on the condicutivity of the coin, you may need to lower your discrimination to pick up foil, or even iron for some coins on edge. It can also depend on the direction of where the coil is coming from in relation to which way the coins is facing (on edge). All metal is probably the surest way of picking up a coin on edge, but you probably still wont get the same signal as if the coin was flat. Hope this helps...HH.