Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coins on Edge

As I wait for my equinox to come in as I am still on the pre-order list, I noticed a few videos where the Equinox seemed to struggle when detecting a coin on edge even at minimal depths compared to other detectors. Is someone able to do a test putting a coin perpendicular at various depths & compare it to their other detectors & respond here or post a video.

Thanks in Advance

What difference would the results of the test make to you? Would you cancel your pre-order if the test results were not good?

I want to know all the plusses & minuses a detector has to offer so I know the strengths & weaknesses, that's all . I don't plan on changing my mind, but it looks like you sold your CTX from your observations about the Deus abilities.

parkgt said:
What difference would the results of the test make to you? Would you cancel your pre-order if the test results were not good?

I'll try it (in the ground) when I get a chance. In air, for whatever that's worth, my EQ 600 does ok with coins on edge--not as strong as flat, but ok...

That's great because what I have seen online a few video posters make it look like the Equinox cant detect a coin at all on edge, & when I ask the poster to state what there settings are, there is no response.

I can't say how it will act in the wild but in my coin garden it hit a 7"deep copper penny standing straight up without any problem. I have very mild sandy soil here in Northeast Texas. Detector was set at Sen-20, reactivity 3, iron bias 2.

I love it, I wish I could take down the videos on u-tube that show that the detector cant hit coins on edge, very deceiving for someone who doesn't know about this site and just goes by what is shown on there. Thank you for debunking

taltexan said:
I can't say how it will act in the wild but in my coin garden it hit a 7"deep copper penny standing straight up without any problem. I have very mild sandy soil here in Northeast Texas. Detector was set at Sen-20, reactivity 3, iron bias 2.

At the beach, I can hear a signal tone one way, no tid or maybe a single tid for 10 sweeps so I dig and 2-3 scoops down is a dime or a penny.

Sort of used to this with the excal. I'll be walking in the zig-zag and get a tone but no repeatable signal so I just dig until I can pull a signal or a target-usually ends up a penny or a dime sometimes quarter,

At the beach, that's worth the effort, a trashy park...

Because some coins it cant hit on edge and ID right and also some rings it cant hit on edge and ID right.
My CTX can find them thou so believe what you want and do your own test when you get the NOX.

Silver coins on edge in PARK 1 (standard settings) will be missed
Park 2 it will pick it up clearly

Gold rings on edge can be picked up in both Park 1 & 2

Terra1959 --

I THINK (haven't tested) it will pick up silver dimes on edge; I have gotten wheat cents on edge. I personally have tested a large silver coin ring on edge, and it's essentially a no-go. You would likely not dig a large silver ring "on edge." Sitting at any angle other than "on edge," it bangs the ring hard.

Steve

Ya Terra has me testing again too.. I knew the EQ struggled with bigger silver on edge in Park 1
but I didn’t think to test Park 2.. Park 2 picked the coin up great in one direction but drops to the mid conductor
range sweeping length wise.. Park one does the opposite but worse.. Park 2 would at least give you a chance
if you hit it from the correct direction.. Very weird the differences..

It should be noted we are talking coins standing straight up and down. Even a slight tilt will bring the coins back to life..

Bryan

I shot a video of a 5 1/2 inch rosie on edge today and the nox smacked it. I compared the deus,f75 and at gold too so video will be down in the metal detecting section tomorrow.

sgoss66 said:
Terra1959 --

I THINK (haven't tested) it will pick up silver dimes on edge; I have gotten wheat cents on edge. I personally have tested a large silver coin ring on edge, and it's essentially a no-go. You would likely not dig a large silver ring "on edge." Sitting at any angle other than "on edge," it bangs the ring hard.

Steve

Gday again,
Yes you are correct - as its a bit more complex than my first post indicates
For coins on edge in Park 1.
....when I test a 92.5% pure large silver coin (a 1922 florin) it will not hit it
Then I test the same sized coin (a 1947 florin) which is only 50% silver it hits it well.

If I then test 2 of our smallest silver coins (Threepence) and I tried out both 92.5% and 50% pure coins it hits both of them on when on edge.

So when I think that through it seems to my simple mind, that the purer the silver is a problem with larger coins / rings on edge.
I am not too concerned as gold is my main target but its interesting to see the differences.
Happy swinging :)

There is just a lot of factors when dealing with thin targets on edge, let face it..... and then how on edge? BUT.... the one issue Steve brought up still seems to be a problem and im told ML is working on. Silver coins. On edge they can read in the single digit..... no so on the CTX. Oddly my silver dollars read basicly the same. I didnt notice it with rings thou..... no you dont get the depth a flat ring gives you....... but come on now we know why. But ... gold still seems to read the same maybe because of the purity. Also..... the EQ seems to be better than my CTX on broken rings. $900 vs $2500...... which should do better?

The huge amount of flat surface area on the front and back of a coin VS. relatively none on the edges means that they are nearly ......always .......going to be flat and not on edge , just simple physics. On edge coins do happen from time to time but are much more rare than people think , so rare that I dont even consider them or have any concern over how a detector reads them.

I read many posts on the internet forums where people are describing a coin they found on edge , I call B.S. on most of them , .....unless you get very .....very lucky and somehow manage to not disturb that coin in the soil its in as you are digging it , which itself might be a one in a million shot , there is no way you could possibly know that coin was on edge. Coins carefully pulled from an intact flipped plug could be identified correctly as on edge at times , so I will give you that ,.....but under any other circumstances you are nearly always going to dislodge any target you are digging and disturb the soil its sitting in long before you can identify whether it was on edge or not.

Ive been detecting over 20 years , found thousands of coins , and really cant tell how many if any at all were on edge. It really is that unlikely that anyone else could either. Usually its something people " assume " because the signal sounded weak or only hit one way , which is better explained as partial masking than an on edge coin........

ohiochris said:
The huge amount of flat surface area on the front and back of a coin VS. relatively none on the edges means that they are nearly ......always .......going to be flat and not on edge , just simple physics. On edge coins do happen from time to time but are much more rare than people think , so rare that I dont even consider them or have any concern over how a detector reads them.

I read many posts on the internet forums where people are describing a coin they found on edge , I call B.S. on most of them , .....unless you get very .....very lucky and somehow manage to not disturb that coin in the soil its in as you are digging it , which itself might be a one in a million shot , there is no way you could possibly know that coin was on edge. Coins carefully pulled from an intact flipped plug could be identified correctly as on edge at times , so I will give you that ,.....but under any other circumstances you are nearly always going to dislodge any target you are digging and disturb the soil its sitting in long before you can identify whether it was on edge or not.

Ive been detecting over 20 years , found thousands of coins , and really cant tell how many if any at all were on edge. It really is that unlikely that anyone else could either. Usually its something people " assume " because the signal sounded weak or only hit one way , which is better explained as partial masking than an on edge coin........

Just because you are paying attention to the coins you dig doesn't mean others are. It s really simple and goes like this... You pinpoint the target and get a dry hole. Your handheld pinpointer shows a target in the side of the hole (and on-edge coins read inches away from their real position). So you take a another slice with your shovel. Then its REALLY easy to see orientation because the dirt plug isnt some random chunk. Sometimes you also pinpoint a target in the side of the hole and flake away a tiny bit of dirt and see the coin sitting there on edge.

Not everyone digs through dirt like a beagle on crack. Just because YOU dont see it, don't make it false. I have seen many, many on-edge coins. They are often all thats left in heavily hunted public spots like parks and schools because all the easy coins are long gone.

I’m with Jason on this one..
Finding coins on edge is VERY common and they can be seen like he said in the side of the hole usually..
If you miss your pinpoint on a coin it’s a good chance that it’s because it was on edge..

Some of us might dig more on edge coins then others because we don’t only dig the text book perfect signals..
If you want to be successful finding old coins in hunted out parks, you need chase some signals other have past on
or missed while waiting for the perfect fluty silver signal..

Bryan

I have to agree with Bryan and Jason.

I have dug MANY coins "on edge" -- especially if you count ones that aren't 100% "vertical," but say, 75% to 90% vertical (like the lines used to write the letter "X"). It's actually quite frequent; probably once per hunt, or once every other hunt at least.

It depends upon your soil type, as to whether or not know "know" how coins were oriented before you dug them. If you hunt in sand, or loose humus-type soil, you may rarely know how the coin sat, before digging. BUT -- if you hunt in clay-type soil, where you can often remove a plug "in-tact," it's not hard to see how the coin is oriented when you "break open the plug." Also, as has been said, it's easy to see on those occasions when you remove the plug, but the coin remains in the side of the hole (due to the mis-pinpointing that often happens with a coin "on-edge").

Here, as just one example, is a Merc I dug two weeks ago -- one that I just happened to take a picture of...

[attachment 356854 3-12-18MercInPlugrotsmall.jpg]

Steve