Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coinshooters: Conductive or Ferrous?

Happa54

Hey All;

If you are primarily a coinshooter, do you hunt in conductive or ferrous and why?

Still learning the nuances between the two.

Thank you for your input and HH.

I usually hunt in conductive, but if I have an "iffy" signal, I will check it in a mode with a ferrous setting. That is a very neat feature of the Safari. You can be a press of the button away to switch quickly between modes. Sometimes I will check a target in three different saved modes, all on the fly. I have noticed many "high tones" when running manual sens at 16 and above. I usually re-sweep from two angles and the signal disappears if junk.

This is how I hunt too RLOH.

I'm not a long time detectorist but I do have over 500 hours on my Safari and have tailored it to fit me.

I can't seem to wrap my brain over the "ferrous" mode. It throws off too many high tones on the non-ferrous targets.

And when I combine non-ferrous high tones with the coin high tones it becomes a distraction as it takes my focus away from my objective which is simplicity in hearing the tones.

When I hear a smooth mid tone in "conductive", I will cross check it in "ferrous" for that smooth tone which prompts me to dig. This works well for me on nickels.

And just you said, "it's just a button away to make the switch between the two modes".

There was one poster who said that 75% of gold rings ID at 9-12 and 28-32. This has produced a couple of thin gold plated jewelry for me thus far... I was impressed.

At this point n time, I'm stuck hunting in the "conductive" mode and can't see any reason to hunt in "ferrous".

I look forward to hearing more from other posters on this subject.

HH