Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coinstrike and mineralized ground?

Mojave

Hey everybody,

Explorer SE and Tesoro Eldorado user here who is currently looking for something else. The slow recovery speed of the Explorer has bothered me for some time, and the depth on the Eldorado leaves a lot to be desired (probably due to my ground). The last straw today was when the Eldorado couldn't find a walking liberty at 7". The Minelab did, but it couldn't find a mercury dime at the same depth.

I've read a lot about Fisher's depth and mineralization abilities. I was initially looking at the F75 LTD (like a lot of people are), but I really don't feel like spending $1200+ on the detector. It looks a bit flimsy for that price tag. I also hear it is unstable.

The prices of the Coin$trikes has got me thinking. I hear they are also prone to EMI problems, which sucks, but I have heard they are good in mineralized ground. Deep too.

Would you recommend this detector?

I just got mine going over ground that I recently pounded with Tesoros and Minelabs.
C$ still "sees" thru the trash. What types of ground are you hunting? You can adjust the
sens and threshold settings to accomodate most any soil, EMI,or target conditions. Just today
I used a setting of +3 threshold and 5 sens ( 503) to search some trash loaded areas.
You can teach an "old dog" new tricks. Try a search of authors including Mike Hillis and
Jackpine Savage with coinstrike as your subject. (all dates).

The Coinstrike does good on heavily mineralised ground, but tends to suffer (same with the Goldstrike) when it's also very changeable. ..Willy.

Got out today and found this rosy at a beachside park.
Using the 503 setting with the 5.75 coil has been a real treat. Lucky for me
I was digging with a trowel as it was among the remains of a
broken beer bottle aswell as other modern trash.

i tried a coinstrike last spring and never have hated a detector so much before. i gave it a couple weeks and sent it down the road. granted i didn't give it much time, but it didn't take me long to figure out it wasn't for me. some guys love it and some hate it. i'm in the latter group. hope it works out for you...........roger

joe dirt_1 said:
i tried a coinstrike last spring and never have hated a detector so much before. i gave it a couple weeks and sent it down the road. granted i didn't give it much time, but it didn't take me long to figure out it wasn't for me. some guys love it and some hate it. I'm in the latter group. hope it works out for you...........roger

Okay, I know this is a pretty old post but I had to revive it.
What kind of problems were you having with it? The reason I ask is I just bought a used C$ off ebay and it has been driving me NUTS! most EVERY time I tried it in my test garden the signals were VERY jumpy no matter what the settings!
Quarter @ 3" read VID 28
Dime @3" fell to 20
Nickle @ 3" fell to foil

I was only getting one tone, foil was notched, iron disc @99., and zinc notched out.
Then one evening I tried the garden again, PERFECT! worked at any setting??
Put it up for a couple of hours and went back out, PERFECT :shrug:
Same thing a couple more times that night, PERFECT!
Went to bed, got up and out and hit the garden again at 9:30am PERFECT! wondered around my little front yard for about ten minutes and all was well and then one last pass over the garden wack-O again???

I checked coil connections, wiggled the coil cable, and no help. Well I work with a guy who had decided to order a C$ about the same time I did, So I was feed up with mine and was ready to through it in the RIVER! but I decided to meet up with my co-worker and switch detector heads (his on my coil and mine on his coil) Well that told the story! I had a bad coil. Now I've got a used one coming from a forum member. But I can't help to think when I read a post like yours that Fisher may have had some defective coils on the C$. I have no way of knowing but I'm thinking that the coil on mine was bad out the door!
For a couple of weeks I thought it was interference,
I live VERY close to an airport! (REAL CLOSE)
I have overhead electric wires that pretty much run right across my test garden,
The last thing I did before I switched out the coils was I took the detector out to my brothers house and tossed 1958 Half dollar on the ground and it ID'ed it at 28 which would be low for a quarter.
My detector is all over the place with numbers and tones, but with that other coil it SEEMED fine. My co-workers unit sucked with my coil.

Was yours bad enough that it could have had a bad coil on it?
Mark