Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coinstrike and threshold control

yogaguy

Hi All. I was talking with my Fisher dealer the other day about the Coinstrike and the threshold control. He explained that it was a control that worked in conjunction with the sensitivity control, but only in a way that it sets a "trigger-point" for the "size" of a target that will make the detector sound off. I hope I said that in the way I wanted to? In other words, depending on where the threshold setting is set at, this will decide what size target the detector will respond to. For example, someone looking for the tiniest bits of gold in Arizona would use a +4 threshold, whereas somebody looking for a jarful of coins may use a -99 setting. At the -99 setting, the detector would be set for baseball-size targets, where the +4 setting would be set for tiny, tiny targets. This is how it was explained to me. I was wondering if anybody else had suggestions on this? Sincerely, Randy

The Threshold control is best understood as setting a "Trigger" point for received signals to exceed, and be acknowledged, or fall short of, and be ignored.

No disrespect meant, but from your post I gather you do not have a CoinStrike. If you did, you would have made that adjustment, and discovered that by now. This is not an unusual thing unique to the Coin$, most detectors with a threshold adjustment do the same. The threshold is another form of a sensitivity control.

Hi Mr. Bill. I don't own one, I just rented it from my dealer on the weekends when I can get out. I usually use an Edge, but it was the only machine he had at the time to rent out. I knew the Coinstrike has a learning curve to it, and I had no idea how the threshold control really worked on the machine. So I asked him about it, and that's the way he explained it to me (about the tiny signals and the positive threshold settings, and the negative numbers and the large signals), that I posted in the message. I'm an amateur for sure, and I mostly get out when I can with the easier to use machines. Sincerely, Randy

That's one heck of a detector to be rented. One would think they would have rented a easier unit to use. It's too bad he didn't supply you with the owners manual when renting.

If you rent it again, set the Disc. at #99, the Sens. at #5, the Threshold at #-25. The unit likes a brisk sweep speed, so don't sweep it slow.

Have a nice day. :)

Hi Mr. Bill. I agree. I would have liked the Edge because I'm really familar with that one. But I figured after him explaining that basics about it, or what he explained to me about it, I would be at least o.k. with it. But I found out that it's just not my cup of tea. I really just need a basic detector, especially for the amount of time I put into detecting. I like the Fishers, so I want to stay with them. I'll try that setting too. Thanks and HH. Sincerely, Randy

n/t