Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coinstrike on rings

Gene

Will the Coinstrike lock on gold rings similar to how it does on coins ?
By checking from various angles is it possible to improve the odds
somewhat when searching for rings in the foil range ?

Gene - Yes for the most part it will. Try to air test a variety of jewelery so you can get a feel for how it acts to various metals and shapes/sizes.

Thanks for the reply. Cal Cobra. I was thinking that it probably would since it locks on to
round targets although I believe it was designed more for the high conductors more than the
foil range I am asking about. Guess there are a lot of variables too. A nice ring that was flat
in the ground would probably give a nice locking signal I am thinking. A ring on edge would
be a different story. Not looking for a lot of depth here just trying to possibly improve the
odds somewhat. There's a lot of foil on the sports fields I hunt that's for sure. Takes a lot of
determination to keep digging all that foil but if you know that you will be rewarded with a
nice gold ring it's worth it to me. That's my opinion anyhow and I have fun chasing the gold
jewelry. When I find it I feel like I have really accomplished something. I know, from what I
am digging, that the coin hunters have already been through the area. They must do a good
job digging the coins because I don't see very many. I am just glad they don't dig the foil
signals like I do. Thanks again for the reply. I will air test all my jewelry and see if I can come
up with a plan. Good hunting to you and all that may read this !

Gene check out this link, Mike recorded a variety of targets (gold, silver, rings, coins, etc) on TDI charts, should give you a better insight as to small gold & foil targets.

http://home.insightbb.com/~johnhetti/coinstrike/charts.htm

hh,
Brian

Thanks for sending that my way Brian. Mike really did his homework on that one.
Now you really have me thinking how to use the Coinstrike. Since gold jewelry
covers such a large number spread I think I will specialize on a particular area,
say 1 to 15 or something like that. Dig those targets that lock on fairly well and
see what happens. May eventually just dig all postive targets with a good target
lock, that may be a good approach too. Not opposed to a lot of digging but as I get
older I would like to a little more selective, just a little. I dont hunt in the Summer
so I will have a little time to wait and try out my theory to see if it will work for me
or not. Not many dedicated foil diggers that I know of and it sure would be nice if
the Coinstrike could pick out a ring in that range with a solid lock. Maybe too much
too ask but I am determined to give it a try. Thanks again Brian. HH Gene

Gene you may just find that your able to get a leg up on the competition if you can lock onto those good targets better then the junk targets, and playing around with the threshold will probably be the key.

I remember Mike Hillis was working on special settings for jewelery hunting, but I don't know what his results were. IIRC he was using the 10.5" coil and trying to get the settings so it would react a certain way. Perhaps Mike will jump in if he can recall the C$ jewelery setup he was testing. Here's one of his old posts with his C$ jewelry hunting thoughts:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?35,146187,146195#msg-146195

I may just have to try it out here as well, gold's always a welcome find :thumbup:

Let me know how your testing goes.
hh,
Brian

I would certainly agree with what Mike had to say Brian. Very rarely find those small gold rings
deeper than 3-4 inches, if that. The foil range is the area I want to target to be sure.
Most past up foil....but if there was a way to determine if it really is foil or a small gold
ring, then you could really be on to something. The threshold may hold the key as far as
the Coinstrike goes, just like you are saying. Locking on to the rings, or at least some
of them, better than the foil. That's my goal. The Coinstrike has a great round target
lock and I think it might just work. Round target lock could mean more rings appearing
in the low conductivity trash. We will see. This will be quite an experiment once I get to
hunting again. I want to try this in real field condtions and not just air tests.
Thanks for showing this to me Brian. I have just enough ideas right now to make me
dangerous. HH Gene

Thanks Brian!

Hi Gene, good to hear you are still digging foil!

I just got a new CS a couple of weeks ago and a new GoldStrike on the way that I'm backing up my F5 with. I'm kind of hooked on the F5 and haven't hunted with the CS yet. I got the CS for some areas where I need more depth than my F5 can give in some of my ground condtions. Hadn't though about using it for foil hunting until just now after reading this.

The threshold is going to be the key. Either very low or very high. I still think the very high setting +2 or +3 will be the magic foil setting as the threshold tone will saturate the small foil. I haven't done this very much yet so I can't say yea or nay yet about it. But will in the near future. Should have some proven (or disproven)settings by the time you get to get out.

HH

Mike

Hi there Mike. Glad you jumped in here. Yeah, still digging foil.
They ought to ban the stuff. Sure would make life easier for me.
Aluminum I can deal with, it's the foil that's got me. Tried a few
different detectors and seems like I am going around again
trying to find "the one." Sound familiar ? Wont be back out
detecting until October I suspect. By then you will either have
it figured out or wrapped around a tree somewhere. I would
suggest working open fields until you get it figured out.
If anyone can figure it out you can. You are a dedicated
Coinstrike professional in my book. I know you are doing well
with the F5. Would be interesting to see how it would do in the
foil field with a few gold rings thrown in. Don't need a lot of
power myself, just something to improve the odds somewhat.
I will be back in here on Monday. Good to hear from you again.